• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which of these options for a campaign?

maggot

First Post
I'm ready to start a new campaign. The idea is that the party are reflections of the greatest heroes of the past. They start low-level as they are just reflections, but they should be of the greatest potential.

So for stats, I'm thinking either: (1) Every stat is an 18. Or (2) The ridiculous array: 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13.

I originally came up with the concept using (1) but I'm concerned there won't be enough variation in characters especially at a low level.

Any suggestions on which is better?

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
maggot, how about a different array:

18, 18, 16, 16, 14, 13.

That way you get some very good scores, some excellent scores and modestly good scores.

shilsen

Adventurer
maggot said:
I'm ready to start a new campaign. The idea is that the party are reflections of the greatest heroes of the past. They start low-level as they are just reflections, but they should be of the greatest potential.

So for stats, I'm thinking either: (1) Every stat is an 18. Or (2) The ridiculous array: 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13.

I originally came up with the concept using (1) but I'm concerned there won't be enough variation in characters especially at a low level.

Any suggestions on which is better?

How about starting them off with 80 pts to divide among their stats on a 1-for-1 basis, and then giving them 1 pt to any stat every level (rather than the 1 every 4 levels that they normally get)?

That way, they start off with very good stats anyway, and then rapidly improve as they are achieving more and more of their potential.

Darklone

Friend of mine did this with a 20, 16, 15, 14, 14, 8 array or a 18, 18, 14, 13, 13, 12 array. ;)

Gives them one flaw and one strength or a pretty balanced thing in every regard.

I'd hand out some extra feats such as Montes talents (without other feats as prerequisites) and perhaps 2 signature skills (class skills regardless of character class).

Add in advancement similar to "One feat every odd and an attribute increase every even level" or even stronger and you'll be fine.

was

Adventurer
We once used 18, 16, 16, 14, 14, 12 in a very high-powered campaign..it worked okay..if I had to pick between your two choices I'd pick the second option

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Was,

That's not a bad array. I just think with two 18s, people can get a decent chance at the character they TRULY want.

Remove ads