Which out-of-print RPGs do you still play?

Khayman

First Post
Warhammer Fantasy Role Play
Whispering Vault
Traveller / Megatraveller
Amber Diceless RPG --- at least I assume it is out of print
Dark Sun - AD&D 2nd Ed
Kult (first printing)

We even dusted off Paranoia and Mechwarrior a while back. Ahhh, nostalgia has the sweet stench of death all over it...

Ant

First Post
Ghostbusters 1st Ed. -- absolutely brilliant stuff!

Chill -- surprisingly creepy.

Advanced Recon -- in a cool Vietnam war/Stargate hybrid campaign.

MERP -- Orc campaign hunting Hobbits and using the Rolemaster Critical Tables. Oh, the joy!

Actually, I'm not sure if Recon and MERP are actually out of print now that I think about it ...

Bagpuss

Legend
D&D 3.0 :D
Vampire:tM (That's out of print now isn't it)

These could well be technically in-print but there hasn't been anything new for a while.

Cyberpunk
Flashing Blades

There is a load of other stuff I own and occasionally play but the list would be to long.

Ultramyth

Explorer
caudor said:
I still like Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.

Beedy Beedy Beedy, what's going on, Buck!

I'd absolutely love to play buck rogers XXVc in a d20 modern conversion. It's definately one of my inspirations. I would do a fansite, but I never owned any of the original books, just the ssi computer games.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Twilight:2000 though technically it IS still in print. FFG is publishing it but there version slid back to the 1.0 rules and I still prefer the 2.0 rules which ARE out of print.

OD&D

MERP

Very soon V:TM, WW:TA, and M:TA will join that list.

Last edited:

MonsterMash

First Post
I'm going to run paranoia soon using the old rules which are technically OOP, and we're not sure to date what changes are going to be made in the Mongoose version, but at least they've signed up talented people for it.

Somethings I've got lurking which date back to the early years of RPG (but wouldn't play now) are Flash Gordon and the Warriors of Mongo, and Bunnies and Burrows.

d4

First Post
if the question is which am i playing now, the answer would have to be none. :\

if the question is which would i play, given the chance?

i'd like to run through the "Enemy Within" campaign for WFRP again.
i'd love to do something with Chaosium's Ringworld RPG.
Space 1889 and Pendragon would be cool.
Mage: Sorcerer's Crusade is i think the only WW game i could stomach playing nowadays.

to be completely honest, most of these (maybe with the exception of Pendragon) i'd rather convert to d20 than do using their original systems. (Ringworld and Space 1889 both would be fun conversion projects once d20 Future gets here.)

Agemegos

Explorer
Dannyalcatraz said:
I have NEVER heard of those.

Tell us- what were they like? Who made them? When?

They were written by a bloke who was at the Australian National University at the time I was there: Tonio Loewald. He wrote ForeSight in about '83 and published it in '86. HindSight was the fantasy supplement, published in 1987. Both were A4-size perfect-bound books: the edition for ForeSight was about 250 copies, HindSight 150. They were sold through games shops in Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney.

ForeSight was presented as an SF game, but easily acted as a realistic modern and historical game, and also acted as the engine for the fantasy material in HindSight.

ForeSight/HindSight was based in substantial part on Victory Games' James Bond 007, but considerably generalised, extended, and cleaned up, and with a much more robust and capable tactical combat system based on action points and a [notional] hex grid. ForeSight had a single central resolution mechanic (the EF/QR system from JB007), a character generation system that was based on spending generation points to buy attributes, skills &c., a simple but elegant skill/field system for using skills to apply knowledge. The central resolution mechanic was applied to rules for ranged combat, mêlée combat, stealth, observation, infiltration, patrolling, design, construction, defeating security system, programming, hacking, persuasion, seduction, charm, long distance travel (including terrain effects), chase sequences, gambling, disguise, penetrating disguises, poisoning, drowning etc. etc. etc. All in such a simple and elegant way that you could pretty much run any sort of material from a thriller, action adventure, or scam movie using only information that was precalculated and recorded on the character sheet. There was also a functional 3-D Newtonian spaceship combat system in which you never had to deal with vectors (with ship design rules) and a system for randomly generating semi-plausible solar systems and generating the population, government, legal system, and culture of any inhabitable planets. And there was a modification system that allowed you to produces customised variations of weapons and vehicles. And a good system for the capabilities of toolkits. It was a very powerful system, which you could run without hardly ever having to open the book during an exciting sequence.

HindSight's main features (as far as I was concerned) were: (1) A magic system in which magicians created 'Effects' on the fly by combining 'Applications' from fields of knowledge they had studied called 'Fundamentals'. It was very flexible and powerful, but the effectiveness of a magician tended to depend too much on the understanding and cunning of the player, instead of on the abilities of his or her character. and (2) A system allowing the favourites of gods to invoke miracles within their gods' domains at the price of sacrifices of unspent experience. This allowed for three statuses of favourite, corresponding to the initiate, priest, and runelord in RuneQuest. But the whole thing was vastly more flexible that Rune magic.

A new edition of ForeSight is in playtesting, according to http://loewald.com/foresight/. But it looks as though it has been 'improved' by leaving modules and detail out rather than by fixing what was bent.

Last edited:

Remove ads