• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which path to run?

The_Fan

First Post
I'll admit it. I'm a lazy DM. I hate to make my own adventures. The huge time investiture just doesn't seem worth it to me, and the games I run on my own have a bad tendency to fall flat. On the other hand, I am one heck of a module DM. My players love what I do with established modules and settings, leading to some very memorable moments.

Right now I'm faced with a tough decision. I'm about to start what I hope will be a long-running campaign, and I have to choose between the two adventure paths out there. Should I go for the Scales of War or the H-P-E series?

Scales of War seems like it has a better overall plot, and I can customize the treasure to fit the party better.

The H-P-E series, aside from justifying the money I'm spending on it, seems to have better designed setpiece encounters (like the chamber of trials and the infamous Irontooth fight).

I'm having trouble deciding between them. Can people who have run one or both give me their opinions?

vazanar

First Post
It's hard to tell seeing so little of the Scales of War. If they gave the AP outline it be easier to tell. I think however the Scales of War will have more of an ongoing plot. The second module already refers to things in the later modules. While the H series seems to be more about location and fight scenes. Personally Im going to try running the Scales after the player article comes out. My group did Keep of the Shadow fell to test 4e, but didnt feel compelled to continue with that story.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
. . . Scales of War seems like it has a better overall plot, . . . ?

If you see the "overall plot" enlighten the rest of us, please. I don't know about the H-P-E series, but, IMO, so far the Scales of War really hasn't shown that much to be impressed with, and with a lack of an AP outline to work with, it's hard to see where it's going. If that isn't a problem for you than just go with the one that works with your DM style best (the one you can do more of your "module magic" with:)).

questing gm

First Post
I would go for the H-P-E series.

You musn't forget the maps, yes, they have maps! Usable maps!

And september is probably the last free Dungeon magazine that we'll ever see, so unless you are going to subscribe to DDI, I still think that the H-P-E series would be a more worthwhile one-shot investment than say for the next 18 months.

vazanar

First Post
The second module (Scales) does seem to have more refrences to later modules. Not as good as other APs. One of the freelance writers, Greg Vaughan has also talked well of it which is nice. Ive liked his other work (in APs) so I'll go with it. H-P-E are more locations, and really doesn't have any attempt for an overarching plot (which you can argue then is doing better than scales).

I would go for the H-P-E series.

You musn't forget the maps, yes, they have maps! Usable maps!

And september is probably the last free Dungeon magazine that we'll ever see, so unless you are going to subscribe to DDI, I still think that the H-P-E series would be a more worthwhile one-shot investment than say for the next 18 months.

The maps are a key thing. HPE is 9 modules at 20 a piece so more than DDI for 18 months. However, you get the maps which is a big plus. Of course if you are already buying the HPE series, you might as well go with it. (Unless your already planning ddi). The first two modules of Scales story seemed better to me than keep of the Shadowfell in terms of story(they cover the same levels). Of course neither are up to old APs.

If I was you I'd read both and see which gets your modification juices flowing and go with it.

As a side note my group is doing the Scales as more of a side campaign on off weeks when we can't do our converted Crimson Throne. Heavily for new players.

Last edited:

Remove ads