• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which payment model would you like for DnDInsider expanded content for hardcopy books

Which payment model suits you?

• 1) Unique code no additional fee (probably higher book cost).

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • 2) Unique code additional fee (but cheaper book)

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • 3) Single code that could be shared, fee payed to get content.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • 4) Combination of the two.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 5) Something else. Unique code with X many licenses for players, etc.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • 6) I ain't paying for 4E never, ever!

Votes: 7 18.4%

Bagpuss

Legend
Which payment model would you like for DnDInsider expanded content for hardcopy books?

I have seen mention that when you buy a book you get a code, to unlock online content, I've also seen mention of a nominal fee to unlock this content.

Say you bought the 4E version of Eberron Campaign setting (it doesn't have to be Eberron, all you haters :D ), you enter the code and you get to use the Eberron races in the character builder and all the feats in it, etc.

Is this code, a unique serial number like you have for PC games. Or is it one code identical in every copy of the book published and then you have a nominal fee to unlock the content?

There are other models that are possible as well I've outlined some below.

1) A unique serial number would mean every player in my group would have to buy the 4E Eberron campaign setting book then enter their unique code in order for the group to play in the Eberron setting (Or use 4E Complete Warrior or whatever expansion). But no nominal fee for unlocking the content.

2) As one but with a nominal fee to unlock content so folks that don't use DnDInsider don't pay for content they will never use.

3) If it is one code the same in each book, I could buy the book (for X amount) give the code to my friends and then we all pay a one off "nominal fee" and we can all play in the Eberron setting using Changlings and the like. They could access an online version to build there characters and the like and we could build a shared group library.

4) A combination of the two... Setting books (and other DM aimed books, a 4E version of Heroes of Battle for example) would have a code that could be shared but player aimed books like Complete Warrior would have unique codes.

5) Something different, the book owner has a unique code, that he can then give license to players in his group (probably paying for each license), or something else I've not considered.

6) DnDInsider isn't for me.

I can see option 1, being a deal breaker for me personally as our group are use to sharing books, and if everyone had to buy a copy of a book to play in a setting or use feats then I can't see us wanting to subscribe to DnDInsider as we would not make use of the character builder and other tools.

Last edited:

wedgeski

Adventurer
Here is the model I expect and will insist on: I buy a book, I unlock its contents on DnDI as part and parcel of my subscription fee. For those who haven't subscribed I doubt whether there's much *point* unlocking the content, and I would expect them not to be able to.

Bagpuss

Legend
That would be option one.

The problem with that model is you can't play with that content with anyone else unless they have the book too. This isn't how most gaming groups currently function, most groups I've been in tend to share books, so while there are 6 people in our group and we all have a PHB, we share the setting book for Eberron, and we only have two copies of the Complete warrior.

With the option one model. Only the person owning the Eberron setting book (probably the GM) could create Warforged, Changling or Shifter characters, or artificers or use any of the prestige classes, all the other players will be stuck only having the PHB, with which to build there characters. Two of the players could use Complete Warrior to build there characters but the GM couldn't use complete warrior to build NPCs using the DnD Insider tools.

DanChops

First Post
My biggest concern with unlocking content online has to do with the secondary market for RPG books. I got most of my 3.x stuff second hand either from eBay or from the FLGS or whatever. I really hope that they don't use any sort of model that limits the number of times the code on any given book can unlock content. If I buy my book secondhand, I'd like to be able to access the online content for that book.

Bagpuss

Legend
Another good point, it wouldn't be a problem with a non-unique code, but it would certainly be an issue with a unique one.

My real fear from comments made at about 8 minutes into the video here , is that they are going for option 1 or worse 2.

"that added functionality is basically databases that are populated once it (DnDInsider) knows you own the physical product."

How can they tell you own the physical product without a unique serial number like code. If it isn't unique then you could have got it from anyone.

Last edited:

Sammael

Adventurer
Here's the model I think they will use:

You buy the book. It has a code (which is unique to each printed book). You type in the code on the website, fill in your data (create an account?), pay a nominal (?) fee, and get the ability to download a PDF of the book to your computer, probably with some sort of DRM integrated (at the very least, it will be watermarked with your previously filled-in data). You will probably be able to re-download the book from your account a couple of times for free, or be able to re-purchase the PDF after a certain number of downloads.

Of course, unless they employ some fairly harsh DRM, you will be able to share the PDF with your gaming group. And this, in my opinion, is OK.

Now... the incentive for everyone to buy the book, and ALSO to subscribe to the DI, will be that, if you have a DI account, once you unlock the code, the book also gets added to your online library, and all extra content from it gets added to your virtual gaming table or whatever they call it. As long as you pay your subscription fee, you can access this content whenever... wherever.

LoPaC

First Post
DDI better have some type of book sharing ability. I play 3 different groups, one as DM and 2 as PCs, and the books change with each group. I would assume that you can have multiple game groups on DDI, so of course the book sharing would need to be ever-changing. But is WIzards really going to let me give a "free copy" of ECS to all 12 other people just because I bought one, yet I let all the people I play with use it?

What I think might happen is that the DDI is a program that will work outside of a web browser, and that you will have a catalouge of books, and when you group up, your catalouge becomes avalible to the rest of your current group only when your group is together online. Example: I buy Eberron CS and look to DM an online game. My players can only use the book via DDI character generator when we are together and logged in as a game group.

Or even better, you make your game group, and all the books that each persson has loaded into their catalouge is avalible for each other person to use only while that gaming group is together, which a log will be kept online via DDI being a stand-alone program that accesses the online catalouge profile of each person playing in the group. So if you aren't in a game group and just want to make digital characters, you would only have your books to work with until you gain a group.

Any of this make sense?

LoPaC

First Post
Bagpuss said:
Yeah it makes a lot of sense, not sure how tricky if not impossible that might be to program but it would simulated a real group table top group well.

Oh, this is the internet, anything is possible ;)

Remove ads