• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which PHB2 classes do you not find interesting

Which PHB2 classes do you not like?

• All classes rock, what on earth are you talking about?

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • I find the Avenger boring – I mean, who wants to hit all the time?

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Barbarian? Pfft, who cares about being a hard-hitter that can’t die?

Votes: 14 12.0%
  • Bard?!? Seriously, I want to be useless in combat…

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • Druid – If I can’t be the best at everything, why should I play a tree-hugger?

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Invoker? What’s that, like a divine wizard with no cantrips?

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • Shaman – Did one of the designers play EQ?

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • Sorcerer – Didn’t we already have the warlock as arcane striker?

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • Warden – I do not even know what that is…

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I hate them all

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Poll closed .
Heh. Until this poll was posted, I didn't even know all of the classes included in the PHB2 so I can't vote against any of them. At least your poll was informative.:lol:

proto128

First Post
I voted Invoker and Shaman, the former because I haven't heard anything that interests me about the class and the latter because it seems like a lot of mechanical clunkiness for not much payoff. Time (and PH2) will tell.

Jack99

Adventurer
Although I am curious about Jack's commentary on the barbarian. What makes you think the barb can't die? Honestly, any time I've seen a Barb in a game, they are prone to getting obliterated.

I wouldn't put too much stock in what I say when I am trying to be funny. I rarely make sense. The barbarian does have a good deal of utilities*/dailies (and a PP) that make it pretty hard (if build correctly) to kill him. But no, he definitely does not seem broken, like for example the battlerager.

For example (and this is just one of several): Last Stand - Imm Interrupt when you go below 0 - effect: you do not go unconscious until the end of your next turn - sustain minor and take 5 damage.

WalterKovacs

First Post
I voted Warden (has more to do with defenders in general than him) and the shaman (similar with leaders, the bard is interesting enough to make up for it). I'm most interested in the strikers and controllers (I've only really played a wizard once, at Gen Con, so I'm interested in getting to play not just a controller, but a more fully realized one).

In general, most of the classes seem to have a hook, either at will (wild shaping, spirit companion), daily (angel summoning, polymorphing, raging), or other things (the versatility of the bard, and the randomness of the wild sorceror) that sets them apart, so that none of them really seem like a repackaged/refluffed PHB class. I love the Oath of Enmity as a variation of the striker class concept.

In general, most of the classes seem to have a hook, either at will (wild shaping, spirit companion), daily (angel summoning, polymorphing, raging), or other things (the versatility of the bard, and the randomness of the wild sorceror) that sets them apart, so that none of them really seem like a repackaged/refluffed PHB class. I love the Oath of Enmity as a variation of the striker class concept.

Really? Are there any classes well versed in BMX based tactics? :p

Gargazon

First Post
I find it really odd (read: amusing) that so many people don't get the Warden and that is the FIRST class from PHB2 I will be rolling up a character for. The fact he's basically just the great, unfazeable Celtic Warrior is awesome alone, but the fact he has been empowered by nature spirits AND THEN takes on aspects of nature (both elemental and beastial) increases his bad-ass factor by about 4 (for me).

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
They are pretty interesting, aren't they?

I think the real question is: do they outshine the PHB classes, and if so by how much?

fissionessence

First Post
The classes at the bottom of my list (that is, the ones I voted for) are the invoker, avenger, and shaman. I don't generally care for the divine power source, although the invoker and avenger both have slightly interesting stuff about them (the invoke that he doesn't pay fealty to one particular god, and the avenger has an interesting/thought provoking mechanic). The shaman is my least favorite for two reasons: 1) It can be an animal or a spirit; an animal spirit is going too far. 2) All the companion does is run around and serve as a focal point for your powers? I didn't like the beastmaster ranger because it looked like the beast was nothing but a flanker, and it would actually attack less than half the time . . . now the shaman's companion is even worse. I don't mind complexity (I actually prefer it), but the fluff of a companion that doesn't do anything is IMO pretty terrible. I might have to reevaluate this after actually reading the book, but that's what I got from the 1-3 preview.

My favorites in order are: Druid, Sorcerer, Warden. The rest I'm mostly impartial about.

~

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads