• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which rules do you NOT use?

wayne62682

First Post
Let's see..

- Wizards need only memorize a spell once and can cast it as many times as they have slots available; no more silly "Ooops, I only memorized Magic Missile once today!" crap.

- Encumbrance. We use it within reason.. but we don't bother about the minute details.

- CLASS SKILLS. Typically in our campaigns, everything is a class skill. None of this "Everyone learns these same skills in Fighter 101" garbage. On a related note we usually are allowed leeway to swap things.. for example, our current campaign allows class skills but we can swap things out that fit our concept better. Same goes for abilities.. I have a Ranger who has Sneak Attack in place of the combat style.

- Untrained skills: [Almost] any skill can be used untrained.

- Stacking rules; things like Keen + Improved Critical do stack.

KB9JMQ

First Post
Material Components unless very expensive.
Encumbrance unless it becomes ridiculous.
Alignment for the most part.
Small change
Massive Damage Rules

Tsillanabor

First Post
Oddly enough this thread just now brought to my mind the number of rules I've messed with.
Bonus feat for number of levels in same class instead of xp penalty.
If a skill is a class skill for any of your classes you may always buy ranks as if it were a class skill.
Feat every level but few magic items.
No multiclassing restrictions for monks and bards.
Fewer class alignment restrictions.
I'm sure there are others but that is what comes to mind right now.

Mercule

Adventurer
I more bastardize than ignore rules. That said, I don't use:

-Alignment. Hybridized with allegiances.
-Base class alignment requirements (as little as they would otherwise apply).
-Paladin.
-Monk.
-Multiclass restrictions. Well, I wouldn't use them if they were still relevant.
-Sorcerers. The inclusion of spell points makes sorcerers pointless, mechanically. The inclusion of warlock and/or psion make them pointless, flavor-wise.
-Favored class XP penalty. I like the idea of a favored class. I just haven't found a good implementation.

I am, of course, not including non-core-three books in this list. Those are really more ala-cart, anyway.

Tsillanabor

First Post
Mercule said:
-Favored class XP penalty. I like the idea of a favored class. I just haven't found a good implementation.

For every four levels you take in a class I give you a bonus feat. If it is your favored class I give you one every three levels.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Mercule said:
I am using the favoured class rules from the Conan d20 game. It works well with my current barbarian campaign as well as my Dark Sun games as the bonus feats offset the lower level of treasure and magic items that prevail in those games:
Rather than allowing for easier multi-classing for characters of that race and class, favoured classes grant bonus feats. A character who gains levels in the favoured class for his race gains one bonus feat at 1st level in that class, one at 5th level and one at 10th level. Note that it is always the character’s class level that is considered for purposes of favoured class bonus feats, not his total character level.
For races with two favoured classes, add the character’s level in the two favoured classes together to determine the favoured class level.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
bowbe said:
I actually like the "memorized spells" mean spells you can cast that day... but cast whichever ones you want as many times as you have open slots. Thats keen. I may use that.

Case

I used this for older EDs - but 3.x casters have so many more spells it seems unnesscary,
and would step on the toes of Sorcerers.

I dont use flat footed before intiative, but do when tartget is unaware of attacker.

spell components of negliable value are ignored. (unless specificaly removed from char.)
small money in high level campaigns (currently 18th)

Encumberance is ignored, unless carrying piles of loot, then it is generalized.

Alignments are perodically readjusted, based on events - the largest changes were NG->N -> CN - and a druid on ther edge of CE

Weapon size penalties - if there is an equivlent weapon, it works just fine.
Mundane crafting rules - I make assumptions, and use resonable times.

Beckett

Explorer
Sejs said:
Er, I think you may have it a big mixed up there. Granted, DR doesn't stack, but you've got multiple types you take the best that applies in any given situation.

No, I know how the rules are written. But, as per the thread title, I don't use DR not stacking (okay, that was a weird little bit of sentence construction).

So, RAW, you use the better DR, as you wrote. By not using that, a character gets the benefit of both DR- the half-celestial stops 5 points of damage because of DR 5/magic, and an additional 1 point of damage from the DR 1/- of the adamantine chain shirt, for a total DR value of 6. If he's attacked by a magic weapon, that will still cut through the DR 5/magic, but he still gets the DR 1/-. The Barbarian gets the benefits of both his natural DR and the DR of the adamantine armor. In my game, a characters gets the benefit of all damage reductions that apply, not just the best.

Tenbones

First Post
I don't use -

Alignment Rules - No alignements. Play as you will. Show us your true colors.. muahaha.

Multiclass Restrictions - None. Multi-class as necessary as long as its viable within the story.

Armor Class - I allow armor to have automatic DR based on size. +1, +2, +3 respectively.

Weapon Finesse - I allow you to use your Dex bonus for dmg. This is only against opponents you could otherwise make a critical hit. And finally I have people that like to play swashbucklers.

Paladin/Monk Multiclass restrictions - This is out.

Sorcerers - I use spellpoints. This class is a redundancy.

Material Components - Same as everyone else. Expensive stuff only.

Added
Weapon Speed - Nicked the weapon attack iterations from EQ RPG game. Fast weapons get their first attack iterations at +5, Normal weapons at +6, Slow (Heavy) weapons at +7. Because it's stupid to think someone is going to swing a 2-handed sword as many times as a dagger. This system has completely changed my game for the better by adding variety to the types of weapons used as opposed to the constant 2handed juggernauts that were prevalent before.

Voadam

Legend
Social skill rolls. Well almost every skill roll in the game actually.

Encumbrance.

Petty cash.

Food and water.

I'm sure there is more.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads