• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Skill Challenge System do you use?

Which Skill Challenge System do you use?

• Core (possibly including updates, DDI articles etc)

Votes: 37 42.5%
  • Stalker's Alternate Core

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Stalker's Obsidian

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • Other

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • I don't use this newfangled SC mechanic at all

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Poll closed .

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm posting this poll to get a feeling for whether people are finding the issues with the core system manageable, or if you have found alternatives.

Apologies to everyone else but Stalker0: you might have created the bestest SC mechanic, but I wasn't aware of it when posting the poll. Feel free to vote "other" and then adding a post linking to your creation! :)

Basically, I'm hoping this poll will have new DMs a hint on whether to bother with the DMG system (as used in published adventures), or if they should turn elsewhere straight away (bothering to convert existing SC's into a new system)... :)

Personally, I've ignored SCs up to now. However, now that I'm running my first as-is 4E module, I want to try out the adventure's skill challenges. Question is: is it worth spending time on the official system? All those Dragon articles doesn't seem to have solved the fundamental statistical flaws AFAIK, so is it salvageable or isn't it?

i've been using the core system, but with the updates that: 1) you cap the # of failures, and 2) use only complexity 5 challenges, which i recall reading on a WOTC staffer's blog although i no longer recall whose.

ed

Mengu

First Post
You need an option in there that says: Whatever I feel like.

I use skills, and they are sometimes in the form of a skill challenge with consequences for success and failure throughout the progression. I use whatever system can resolve the situation I'm trying to simulate. I don't even pay a lot of attention to what the core system indicates for number of successes/failures, or the DC's involved. I make them up depending on the situation and might even keep it fluid for changes on the fly.

I think skill challenges are a novel idea, but if you go by any rigid set of rules, the players realize too quickly what the best way to beat a skill challenge is, and it can quickly become an exercise in meaningless dice rolling as everyone assists the person with the highest skill, or in cases where they can't assist, they find not doing anything is more beneficial than failing.

So I try to make it such that every challenge is mechanically a little different. I make sure the players understand the objective, and some possibilities for success or failure. Sometimes I have degrees of success and failure as well. I keep it flexible, and try not to force the "skill challenge system" into place. it's just a tool that gives me some ideas on how to resolve different challenges.

Question is: is it worth spending time on the official system? All those Dragon articles doesn't seem to have solved the fundamental statistical flaws AFAIK, so is it salvageable or isn't it?

IMHO, no.. the RAW system has yet to be salvaged. The biggest issue is the system dis-incentivises participation for non skill-focused characters. The fact that you can fail the challenge makes it so that players will not want to participate.

Stalker's Obsideon system takes that into account and is set up to allow everyone to participate and actually be an involved/useful actor in the challenge.

While I would prefer Mengu's approach, I also very much appreciate the players understanding how the mechanics work. Having a standard system assists in that regard.

Reskinning the skill challenges is also something to consider. I have been using Stalker's system since he published it and refer in play to a single page of notes... really just the DC for my parties level and the number of successes required by number of players present.

A challenge you will encounter is getting your players to be involved. I reccommend having them go through a simple challenge before play to get a hang of the rules and encourage them to break out of the mold of using thier best skill. Also encourage them to describe the action/events. Combat encounters are sorta prescripted.. players run macro's to change the events of the game. Skill challenges should be adhoc creation on both sides of the screen.

Good luck with the game, whichever way you choose, I hope you enjoy it!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm having a lot of success with the system as written (well, with errata) -- but I haven't used Stalker's system, and I have a lot of respect for him. It'd be worth trying.

Flipguarder

First Post
I have learned the past few weeks, that my intuitive mind is MUCH, MUCH more intelligent than my planning one. As such, I basically decide "this right here will be a series of skill checks." I memorize the easy, moderate, and hard DC's for the PC's level, then kinda wing the whole thing. Only used it about 3 times, but it has worked really well so far.

jgsugden

Legend
I am in the process of reworking skills. Instead of the current system, I am going to replace it with a system that puts all of the math in the DMs hands. PCs will roll the dice, and they'll have access to the tables behind the system, but for the most part the PCs will only need to know that they're 'adept' at insight and that they're trying to so something that is 'complex'. The system eliminates level based bonuses and reduces the variability of the skill system so that things are more intuitive and it is harder to break the system. It also makes it very meaningful to take skill focus.

Personally, I think the skills and skill challenge system is an area where they can simplify in 5E and really improve the game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads