• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Which skill for performing an autopsy?

koesherbacon

First Post
I see. So it would probably be best for me, the Wizard, to perform the autopsy along with a Cleric, Ranger, Druid or other character who would be better trained at identifying creatures. That way, they could do the autopsy and I could attempt to learn more about the creature as a whole.

My thought now is to use Craft (Calligraphy) during the autopsy to take notes and sketch the creature's internal and external aspects and send a letter to someone else who can help identify it for us. There's no skill for drawing, so I figure that Calligraphy is probably the best option here.

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it!

Wicht

Hero
We tend to put drawing under Craft (drawing). My wife can do some calligraphy but she's not very good at drawing; they're two seperate artforms.

radja

First Post
Speaking as a DM, I love it when players try stuff like this. It gives great hooks to discover stuff about monsters, and the type of research also gives you ample time to prepare. No player will expect an immediate answer. This fact will help you with the DC, since the DM may want you to find things out. Keep doing stuff like this.

Celebrim

Legend
My Wizard wants to perform an autopsy on a creature the group just defeated which everyone failed their Knowledge skill to determine what it was. Out of character, I do know it was an aberration.

Would I use Heal for this? Or would a Knowledge (Dungeoneering) suffice?

Thanks!

Autopsies tell you how a creature died.

The appropriate check is 'Heal'. The DC is based on your familiarity with the creature in question and the obscurity of the method of death.

On success, my guess is that you'd learn that the creature was hacked apart by a group of adventurers. This is probably not what you intend.

To learn details about the creatures physiology, it's the same skill you previously failed your check on.

Derren

Hero
I fail to see what the characters want to gain by the autopsy.

With heal they could figure out which organ is which and which injury killed them, but the information gain would be low.
If they succeed with the heal check and the type the creature belongs to has a signature anatomy which can be discovered during the autopsy, for example the breath weapon organ for dragons etc., then I would allow another knowledge roll. But aberrations are not known for having such signature organs so I don't think they will gain much information from that. With good heal rolls they might figure out some mundane abilities like poison if the creature has any.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads