• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which spells restore a zombie?

maritimo80

First Post
A FIGHTER was killed by finger of death, he turned into a zombie and was killed again as a zombie.

What Spell restores the FIGHTER back to life ?

Resurection or/and True Resurection or/and Wish ?

evilbob

Explorer
Raise Dead should work, as long as it's been less than 10 days. Reincarnate sort of works. The spells you mention would work.

I am coming at this from the perspective that "being a zombie" doesn't change anything and standard "return to life" spells will work.

S

Sunseeker

A FIGHTER was killed by finger of death, he turned into a zombie and was killed again as a zombie.

I would say True Resurection, Wish and Reincarnate would all be fine, however regular Resurection has a caveat that it cannot revive the undead, I'd apply that to an undead corpse as much as a "living" undead.

G

ghostofchristmaspast

Monster Manual page 315 : "Once turned into a zombie, a creature can't be restored to life except by powerful magic, such as a resurrection spell."

evilbob

Explorer
regular Resurection has a caveat that it cannot revive the undead
I thought that was saying that undead cannot be brought back again as undead using resurrection magic - like, you can't restore a vampire that has been killed into a vampire again using resurrection magic. In other words, "life magic" can't be used to restore/create undead.

Monster Manual page 315 : "Once turned into a zombie, a creature can't be restored to life except by powerful magic, such as a resurrection spell."
That seems like a decent point of confusion, especially how it's ambiguous as to whether "powerful magic" could include a lower-level spell like Raise Dead. I suppose Raise Dead says it doesn't cure magical diseases / curses / similar effects, which might include "being a zombie." But how else do you remove "being a zombie" other than killing it?

For what it's worth, the new Curse of Strahd adventure specifically implies that Raise Dead can restore an undead creature to it's pre-undead life, such as zombies or vampires being turned back into villagers. Of course, you could also argue that since magic specifically works slightly differently there, it doesn't make this a general rule.

Open to DM interpretation?

How it's always worked is that you need Resurrection or better to bring a creature back to life that had been turned into an undead. They can't be used to revive the undead themselves though and don't work if the undead is still alive.

Demorgus

Explorer

Are you trying to bring him back as a zombie or as the fighter?

If you're trying to bring back the zombie, then Raise Dead makes sense. If you're trying to bring back the fighter, than I would go with the advice from the Monster Manual.

G

ghostofchristmaspast

Are you trying to bring him back as a zombie or as the fighter?

If you're trying to bring back the zombie, then Raise Dead makes sense. If you're trying to bring back the fighter, than I would go with the advice from the Monster Manual.
Schrödinger's fighter :D

Remove ads