Which Story Hours are still being updated regularly?

the Jester

Legend
Wow, the one you just completed started in 2003! That's five years. . . That is dedication!

How old are the other ones?

Well, the epic SH is on about thread 4 or 5... it has been running since prolly 2000 or 2001.

Three Kingdoms and Empire is prolly only about 2 years old? Maybe 3? That's my 'beta' group, so it gets a lot less play- we've haven't had a session since late August, and it's looking like a disintegrating group, unfortunately. :(

talien

Community Supporter
Daily since 2004? Is that just weekdays? What do you mean by "pre-written"?
When ENWorld went down (was that early 2007 maybe?) and we lost threads, I switched to daily.

Yes, that includes weekends.

By pre-written I mean I've written them all. It's done. 60+ chapters of MS Word docs for Arcanis. Modern is currently up to date (but ongoing).

Here's how I do it: right after the game, I spend the week writing the story hours. Sometimes this takes a couple of weeks -- especially with the Modern story hours, which is usually two or three smaller stories. Then I send them to my players.

The players in turn correct them for errors. I forget things sometimes (easy to do when my son isn't sleeping, I'm sick, my job is stressful, or I was caught up with one part of GMing while the players were talking). Sometimes I edit the events in such a way to make them cooler or fill in the blanks, and the players don't agree with the change so I have to change it back. There was recently a huge blow up over the depiction of a character using charm person (I showed it as street hypnosis, he wanted it as a more FX effect) -- so there IS a review process of sorts to ensure accuracy.

Then I edit the whole thing one more time and post it once the story hour gets to that point.

Because I write each story hour as a chapter, broken into smaller scenes, the two story hours take a very long time to play out. I don't mind this. I also post a summary of it to my blog. This has skyrocketed my Google rankings, as Google loves active blogs. As an experiment, if you type in "Arcanis" and another word, like "lizard" or "legionnaire," the thread shows up in the top 10, and sometimes even #2. Heck, "Modern" and "Delta Green" causes the other story hour thread to show up in 4th place.

What probably helps is that I advertise new installments everywhere. Gonnes, Sons, and Treasure Runs was regularly advertised on the Living Arcanis Yahoo group, Yog-Sothoth, and the Green Ronin forums, depending on which adventure we were playing. The Beginning of the End is advertised on the Spycraft, Monte Cook (d20 Cthulhu), Yog-Sothoth forums, and the Delta Green Yahoo mailing list.

And then there's my new column on RPG.net about my gaming group,
which is a behind the scenes look at the Beginning of the End story hour.

So in other words, I actively cultivate links to the story hour beyond ENWorld.

Mine's still kicking, despite some downtime here and there that mostly killed my 4-year long once-a-day updates.

But that's what happens when you're an art major, apparently...I'm currently swamped with work and get in updates as I can. Not daily anymore, and not even under a schedule really, but I still manage to get in somewhere between 2-4 updates a week.

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
While my erratic posting schedule has probably cost me a large number of readers, I see I've posted about 17 times in 2008, so I guess I meet el-remmen's criteria. :) Family and work obligations prevent me churning out updates the way I used to.

The game itself is still going strong, though the Story Hour is currently lagging about 20 game sessions behind. I tape all of my sessions and play them back to help write the story.

I expect to continue posting at a rate of approximately once every 3-4 weeks, with occasional longer gaps.

Rackhir

Explorer
The frequency gets more erratic when Shilsen is back in India for the summer, but he still generally manages to get out an update roughly every 2wks to a month. So his story hour in my sig definitely fulfills the requirements.

The Chronicles of Burne, alas doesn't. Having a second kid has seriously cramped his time and inspiration.

akira1

First Post
Still Alive

My story hour is still running. Terrace and the Rise of Evil. I am updating approximately 3 times per month.

Medriev

Explorer
FR Keep on the Shadowfell

Mine is relatively new to these boards but has been running as a campaign since 4th Edition came out in June.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/story-hour/241863-forgotten-realms-keep-shadowfell.html

This is literally how the campaign action is recorded since, in the absence of time and players, this is a solo D&D campaign. The concept is best explained by the OP in this thread on the WotC boards:

Solitaire D&D Explained

Have posted two chapters so far but at present, I am finishing off Chapter 19. Will try to post a chapter a day or so until I am up to date.

Nightbreeze

First Post
Lazybones' current storyhour is updated thrice a week, and is relatively recent.

Quick question: how can I access storyhours that are not listed in the current 2 pages? I need to find one that was started and interrupted almost an year ago, as it had some hilarious pieces.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Quick question: how can I access storyhours that are not listed in the current 2 pages? I need to find one that was started and interrupted almost an year ago, as it had some hilarious pieces.

Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the story hour forum and on the left can be found "Display Options" - Change the dropdown for how long it should look back from 100 days to "Beginning". That should do it! :)

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
The story hour in my sig is updated every Wednesday. We finished the game about three months ago and I'm about 1/3 through converting my session notes into narrative and posting them. I originally thought I'd post more than once a week initially, but life conspires to keep me busy. :erm:

Remove ads