• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which Tales from the Yawning Portal for one-shot?

DRF

First Post
Hi everyone!

I'm planning a one-shot for some friends (and a few strangers), and I'd like to run an interesting dungeon. I was recently a player in one, and it worked well for a one-shot I thought. I'm tempted to try a dungeon from TotYP, but I'm unsure which one is appropriate. I'd like the players to be at least level 5, which immediately brought me to The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, but are there other options? I haven't read through the whole book. Ideally I'd like a lot of traps, puzzles and interesting challenges with some combat too. In other words, not just a fight-and-rest sort of deal.

What do you recommend? Is it even possible to do these dungeons in a 4-6 hour session?

pukunui

Legend
Lost Shrine is probably your best bet, as it was originally designed as a one-shot tournament adventure. It also has all the things you want in it.

White Plume Mountain could work as well. It's by far the smallest/shortest of all the dungeons.

Tomb of Horrors would be another good one for a one-shot.

The rest of them are probably too long, although you could probably one-shot Forge of Fury if you start them at 5th instead of 3rd.

DRF

First Post
Tomb of Horrors would be another good one for a one-shot.

I am completely enamored with Tomb of Horrors, but most of my players will be pretty new. I think Tomb of Horrors might be a bit too much... unless the 5e version really is super nerfed?

Tormyr

Hero
I ran the 5e Tomb of Horrors for 2 different groups. Each time to took probably 16 hours or so. I let my groups take their time on the puzzles though.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I am completely enamored with Tomb of Horrors, but most of my players will be pretty new. I think Tomb of Horrors might be a bit too much... unless the 5e version really is super nerfed?

No, it’s pretty much the same. I would definitely not run it for new players, as it would give the wrong impression of what D&D is like.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads