Which version of D&D is your favorite now?

Which edition of D&D is your favorite now?

• D&D 5th edition

Votes: 58 47.9%
  • D&D 4th edition

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • D&D 3rd edition/ Pathfinder

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • D&D 2nd edition or older

Votes: 12 9.9%

seregil

First Post
While still early, 5E is looking good. Until I play it, I can't really say with certainty. However, I can say that I do prefer it for certain aspects:

It's better than OD&D/1E/2E for the systematic approach to the rules. I.E. Up is always better, attributes that increase in the same way, standard bonuses etc. Essentially, all the stuff that 3E cleaned up and universally improved.

It's better than 4E (IMO) because i loathe 4E for many, many reasons which I will not enumerate here.

In fact, from what I can see, they took BECMI/1E/2E, systematized the rules as per 3E (see above) and, ta-dah! 5E. It really has an old-school feel to it.

It seems simpler to date, which is good because this is my major issue with Pathfinder/3.5E/3E. However, the incoming books will add bloat, as they always do. I will tightly control which books we use.

And, as an added bonus, it seems to be far more unifying an edition than the last one which wins the title of most divisive edition by far.

So, for the moment, Pathfinder is the clear winner in my preference with 5E floating somewhere between 3E and 3.5E pending actually playing it for a while. It has the potential to be the best, which at this point in the game, is a great improvement over the last edition.

1. Pathfinder
  2. 3.5E
  3. 5E
  4. 3E
  5. 2E
  6. 1E/BECMI
  7. 4E

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
1. D&D v.3.5
2. AD&D 2E
3. 5th Edition
4. BECMI
5. AD&D 1E
6. 4th Edition Essentials

5th Edition hasn't surpassed 2E, yet, but it might once I have all the core rulebooks. (The PHB has me very excited.) I doubt it will eclipse D&D v.3.5 as my favorite D&D system. BECMI comes out above 1E due to its connection to Mystara. For 4E, I prefer the Essentials line, but it still comes dead last.

Remove ads