• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which WotC settings in 4th Edition?

Which settings should WotC support?

Depends what you mean by "support."

If you mean "several campaign-specific books, followed by multiple smaller books and/or regular features on DDI," then I'd say just Eberron, FR, and maybe one new one.

If you mean "a single hardcover book (or even one large book with multiple settings), followed by occasional DDI articles," then I'd have to say almost all of them.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Greyhawk for sure. It has bee nthe standard for so long now, no time to quit. It also does not need major fixes (cough FR cough) to make it a reasonable place to adventure.

I also like birthright, but I hold out no hopes that it will be supported. Still, it is one of my favorites, and the map along suggests diverging cultures, and adventure locales, something Greyhawk could use more of. Endless plains arbitrariliy divided into countries is not too impressive.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
Assuming support means "publish setting-specific hardback books for" . . .

Forgotten Realms and Ebberon are no brainers. I don't play either, but I think they should support both because of the vast audience. I would like to see them support Greyhawk, but I don't expect it. I would also like to see a new, from the ground up "Points of Light" setting for 4dventure!

They should limit support to only a small handful of settings to avoid the "last days of TSR" problem of fracturing their own market.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I'd say definite for lots of support, FR then Eberron, then perhaps Greyhawk and Dragonlance (given that they have their own forum in the 4e forum).

As for the others anyone of them could appear in DDI or as their new-one-setting-per-year.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I voted for them all, because (like I said in another thread), why not? I'd like to see them release updated versions of each and every one of them, even if they are done six months to a year apart and only available in electronic PDF format.

I voted for all of them, but I'd like to put an exclaimation point next to Greyhawk, Ravenloft, and Dragonlance. And I'd put three or four exclaimation points after Mystara, then underline it twice and circle it.

arscott

First Post
If I were WotC, I would support Eberron and Forgotten Realms product lines. Personally, I love Eberron and hate FR, but Wizards seems to be making ridiculous amounts of money from both, so who am I to argue.

After that, I'd release one 288 page Campaign setting each year, along with a 228 page adventure taking place in that setting, and Ideally running through an entire teir of play. No setting specific products beyond those two (though there's no reason that setting-inspired crunch can't end up in generic splatbooks or on D&D insider).

First on the Block would be a Dark Sun setting book (based on Athas as it stood in the original boxed set, rather than the later advancement of the metaplot) plus a Paragon-Tier adventure path that leads to the defeat of the Sorcerer-King Kalak.

Mouseferatu said:
Depends what you mean by "support."

If you mean "several campaign-specific books, followed by multiple smaller books and/or regular features on DDI," then I'd say just Eberron, FR, and maybe one new one.

If you mean "a single hardcover book (or even one large book with multiple settings), followed by occasional DDI articles," then I'd have to say almost all of them.

Exactly right.

Remove ads