• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whip using PrC - trip and disarm based

Kahuna Burger

First Post
A 5 level PrC for whip users. Tell me what you think.
Whip Master [looking for a better name]
Pre reqs: BAB +5; exotic weapon proficiency whip; Improved disarm; Improved trip

HD: d8

skill points: 4/level

class skills: [ugh, not sure on this one]

BAB: fighter

Saves: ref (and fort?) good

Specials:
1. Disarm/trip bonus, Whip hand
2. Melee whip (no AoO)
3. Directed disarm
4. Disengange whip
5. Greater melee whip (threaten)

disarm/trip bonus: (ex) when making an opposed disarm check, or opposed strength check to trip with a whip, a whip master adds his intelligence bonus, plus his whip master class level to the roll.

Whip hand: (ex) A whip master can use his whip as a hand, grasping and affecting objects in any square in his reach. As a standard action he could use the whip to pull a lever, trigger a trap, open a simple chest, or any other task which could be accomplished with one hand and no fine manipulation.

Melee Whip: (ex) At second level, the whip master no longer provokes an attack of opertunity when he uses his whip in melee. At fifth level, his melee use of the whip improves again, and he now threatens all squares within his reach.

Directed disarm: (ex) At thrid level, the whip master's extertise at disarming opponents expands to give him more options. Now, instead of the disarmed object simply dropping at it former owner's feet, the whip master can drop it in any square within his reach. If the object is dropped in an ally's square, he can make an attack roll againt ac 12 to catch it in a free hand (if the free hand is the ally's off hand, he takes a -4 penalty to the roll unless he possesses the two weapon fighting feat). The whip master can even bring the object into his own square and attempt to catch it if he has a free hand.

Disengage whip: (ex) At fourth level, the whip master's control over his weapon becomes so fine tuned that he can withdraw from a trip or disarm attempt that would cause him to lose control of his weapon. If he fails an opposed strenght check to trip, or a disarm roll, he automaticly disentagles his whip from the opponent or object, preventing it from being yanked out of his grip.

There are a couple of other ideas I have for abilities, but I don't want to overload it, and I'm not sure its enough (as a concept or in terms of abilities) to stretch it out to 10 levels....

genshou

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Little Kahuna, have you taken a look at E.N. Arsenal - Whips, yet? It might be up your alley. Basically I did about the same thing you have. *grin*
And a very good job he did! I'm very impressed by the scope of information in that book. I even learned something non-game related by reading it (what makes the whip crack). I'm using a great deal of the feats in that book for a party NPC in my story hour, so once she increases in level (a while in the future of the SH), you'll start to notice material from that book appearing in her stats.

None of the prestige classes in that book are very appropriate for her (Weapon Master seems a better choice), but they are all very well-written, without being the only thing worth picking up from the book.

I got a 3-star review just a few days ago, which was nice. It made me realize how else I could've written the book. I won't exactly go back and fix it, but I'll bear the advice in mind for future books.

Remove ads