• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whirling Frenzy - 2x assorted bonuses?

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
The (redacted) power reads as follows:

Barbarian Attack 1 Whirling Frenzy
Encounter Standard Action Close burst 1
Hit: 1[W] + 1[W] (off-hand weapon) + Strength modifier damage.
Miss: You take 1d6 damage, with no modifiers

Am I correct in thinking that you get your various bonuses to damage to each of the Ws of damage, as they are coming from seperate weapons?

So, for example, the given ranger/barbarian multiclass has a +5 (20 strength), +3 battle axe, a +2 battleaxe, weapon focus (+2 damage at paragon), iron armbands (+2 for heroic version) and +2 damage from the multiclass feat (1 encounter/day). By the above method, the first 3 (str, weapon enhancements) wouldn't be doubled, and the last 3 (focus, armbands, encounter boost) would.

Would she be potentially doing d10+ d10 +22? to each target next to her? That seems crazy good.

Character builder has me even more confused, as it gives me (without the situation encounter bonus) +10 damage... which doesn't make any sense using any method, as she gets +12 from her other powers that let her add her strength mod damage (and +7 to those that don't).

Thatwackyned

First Post
Hello my fellow Edmonchucker

As it is one attack, i'ld say it is 1d10+1d10+[12=5(str)+3(weapon enchant)+2(W Focus)+2(Iron Armband)]

Not if it said if it said that you make one attack with each weapon:
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage and 1[W] (off-hand weapon) + Strength modifier damage.
Then I could see the +22 damage.

Now regarding the CB, I have no idea, unless it doesn't apply the armbands.

Last edited:

Mentat55

First Post
The CB says +10 because the Iron Armbands of Power do not apply to close attacks, only melee weapon attacks.

You only add the bonuses once. This is a slightly odd case, as you have different enhancement bonuses from two different weapons, but with the damage expression as given, the +3 battleaxe supercedes the +2 weapon. So it would be:

1d10+1d10+5 (Str) +3 (enhancement) +2 (Weapon Focus) = 2d10+10, or 2d10+12 if she uses the barbarian multiclass damage boost.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Fiddlesticks.

I understand to treat it like 2[W]+Str, just 1[W] from onhand and 1[W] from offhand. But it breaks my brain how much of your character that can ignore.

I know the answers to the below, but I want to put out how silly this power is.

Say I've got a +3 jagged long sword, a +2 rhythm parrying dagger, light blade expertise, and weapon focus (light blades).

If I roll a 19 (crit for the jagged longsword) do I maximize the dagger damage as well? (Yes, attack is main weapon for the power)

If I roll a 20, do I use both crit effects, or just the jagged sword's effect? (Just jagged*)

Does the light blade expertise add to hit? (Nope, main weapon attack)

Does light blade expertise add to damage if I have CA? (nope, attack is main weapon)

Do I count WF (light blade)? (Nope*)

Actually, the two * ones someone with a silver tongue could convince me the other way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads