• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whirling Slayer barbarian build advice

Theroc

First Post
Okay, so in the game I mentioned in the swordmage thread, someone else expressed interest in a defender so I decided to try out the whirling slayer from Primal Power as it looked pretty cool. For RP lulz since I found only the Half-Orc with optimal stat lineups, I chose a Warforged(High con hurts no one and strength buff is good)

All books open, DDI is open to my understanding, level 1, 22 point buy, Eberron setting, using Themes from Dark Sun.

Other players:
Swordmage/Artificer Hybrid(Githzerai)
Human Warlock(Sorcerer-King Pact; Primarily Melee)
Eagle Shaman(Kalashtar)
Controller(No idea which one yet, but the player seems to love the idea.)
Monk

I'm currently wondering what types of weapons I should choose, powers and feats, and any general tips on strategy for building a Whirling barbarian. I assume I am limited mostly to powers in the Primal Power book, as many in the PHB2 require a twohanded weapon.

Last edited:

RedBeardJim

First Post
Okay, so in the game I mentioned in the swordmage thread, someone else expressed interest in a defender so I decided to try out the whirling slayer from Primal Power as it looked pretty cool. For RP lulz since I found only the Half-Orc with optimal stat lineups, I chose a Warforged(High con hurts no one and strength buff is good)

All books open, DDI is open to my understanding, level 1, 22 point buy, Eberron setting, using Themes from Dark Sun.

Other players:
Swordmage/Artificer Hybrid(Githzerai)
Human Warlock(Sorcerer-King Pact; Primarily Melee)
Eagle Shaman(Kalashtar)
Controller(No idea which one yet, but the player seems to love the idea.)
Monk

I'm currently wondering what types of weapons I should choose, powers and feats, and any general tips on strategy for building a Whirling barbarian. I assume I am limited mostly to powers in the Primal Power book, as many in the PHB2 require a twohanded weapon.
You'll definitely want Whirling Slash from PP as one of your at-wills, as that's the only one that explicitly takes advantage of the dual-wielding style. Pressing Strike from PH2 is popular as the second choice, though note that if you wield versatile weapons (and you should), any of the "requires a weapon wielded in two hands" at-wills can be used at the cost of a minor action to stow a weapon. Whirling Frenzy is a good encounter power, although note the potential for significant self-harm. The daily rage powers generally don't care how many hands you're holding your weapon in, so it's a matter of taste. Thunder Hooves Rage from PP is a popular choice, and synergizes very very well with Pressing Strike.

For weapons, wield the biggest versatile weapons you can. If you don't want to spend your first feat on a superior weapon proficiency, one strategy is to wield a more accurate weapon like a longsword in the main hand and a harder-hitting weapon like a battleaxe or warhammer in the off hand (since you only make attack rolls with the mainhand weapon).

Your Fort and Ref defenses are going to be pretty good, since you'll be focusing on Strength and Dex -- it's Will that's going to suffer.

Oh, BTW -- playing in Eberron, there's nice support for a Halfling Whirling Barbarian. Take the Talenta Plains background and the Talenta Weapon Proficiency feat and you get nice bonuses with the Talenta Tan'gat, a small versatile weapon. The damage output won't be quite as high, but the mobility and elusiveness potential is huge, with Second Chance and feats like Lost in the Crowd.

Mengu

First Post
If you don't want to alienate yourself to two handed weapon powers, you could use a spiked chain. It has good accuracy, decent damage, your at-wills can be Whirling Rend and Howling Strike. You'll have both the flexibility of single target damage with charge tools, and multi-target damage with two weapon powers. It's also only one weapon to upgrade so you're in decent shape there.

I'd almost be tempted to play human for even more flexibility getting Pressing Strike. And the extra feat could let you also start out with light blade expertise right away.

Theroc

First Post
If you don't want to alienate yourself to two handed weapon powers, you could use a spiked chain. It has good accuracy, decent damage, your at-wills can be Whirling Rend and Howling Strike. You'll have both the flexibility of single target damage with charge tools, and multi-target damage with two weapon powers. It's also only one weapon to upgrade so you're in decent shape there.

I'd almost be tempted to play human for even more flexibility getting Pressing Strike. And the extra feat could let you also start out with light blade expertise right away.

Spiked chain is a two handed weapon, and isn't a double weapon, so I wouldn't be able to use the dual wielding powers with it(which defeats the purpose of a whirling barbarian, no?)

Lord Ernie

First Post
I reckon Mengu is referring to the Spike Chain Training feat from Dragon, which gives you proficiency and allows you to use it as a double weapon, all in one feat.

Note this does occupy your MC slot, though, which IMO makes it far from ideal if you ever plan to go to Paragon level, since most Barbarian PP's aren't all that good, and using this feat stops you from poaching a good Ranger or Barbarian MC.

Mengu

First Post
Yes, spiked chain training lets you use it as a double weapon and is a MC feat. For paragon, if you are warforged, Warforged Juggernaut is a perfectly fine PP (more damage and push on a charge, an encounter charge that dazes, a stance that makes fighters jealous), and for Human, Adroit Explorer is good enough (Curtain of Steel or Storm of Blades x2? Yes please).

Since Warforged make such good chargers, that's part of why I was recommending the versatile approach, just forgot to say it.

Lord Ernie

First Post
Ack. I missed the mention of Warforged in the first post. Yeah, the Juggernaut is a very nice PP for a charging barbarian, and Adroit Explorer is a very nice PP period.

So yeah, the Spiked Chain is a good option. Spiked Chain Training makes it the main hand stout (so you can use howling strike), you can use it to reach-charge if you want to, and at 2d4/2d4 it does good damage.

As to the OP: for everything there is to know about optimizing Barbarians, let me point you to LDB's excellent guide on the WotC Charop Forums.

Remove ads