• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whirling Steel Strike & TWF?

Azaar

Explorer
Crazy question, perhaps, and it won't surprise me if it's something that's long since been discussed and pointed out, or errata'ed. At any rate, the questions...

Whirling Steel Strike allows a monk to (assuming they have the proficiency) to wield a longsword and retain flurry of blows. For the sake of argument, what if a monk pursued this, and then climbed the TWF feat tree as high as they could (for the example below, I'll assume Improved TWF as the upper limit, and won't include Oversized TWF or anything like that, and use unmodified base attack bonus) -- what would happen? Would their attacks be:

+15/+15/+15/+10/+10/+5/+5

Would this even be legal as a combination? If not, fine.

If it is legal... is my example fairly accurate in how it would work? Or what would it be if my example turns out to be wrong (which I won't deny is a likely possibility)?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Azaar said:
+15/+15/+15/+10/+10/+5/+5

If ITWF is the upper limit, where is the second +5 attack coming from? Did you mean GTWF?

Apart from that, it looks about right.

Your penalty on all attacks will be -4 (non-light weapon, Flurry penalty reduced to 0 by 9th level).

According to the FAQ, off-hand attacks will add half Str bonus to damage. As I read the PHB, it's your normal Str bonus.

-Hyp.

Azaar

Explorer
I was assuming the +15/+15/+15 would be the three hits at the highest BAB that flurry gives you. The first +10 would be the first off-hand attack, then the normal +10 from flurry. The first +5 would be the second off-hand attack from Improved TWF, and the second +5 would come from the final attack from flurry.

I wasn't taking penalties into account, so it would be lower values (unless Oversized TWF (I think I have the name of the feat right) was being used, in which case the off-hand longsword would be considered a light weapon and the penalties would only be -2).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Azaar said:
I was assuming the +15/+15/+15 would be the three hits at the highest BAB that flurry gives you. The first +10 would be the first off-hand attack, then the normal +10 from flurry. The first +5 would be the second off-hand attack from Improved TWF, and the second +5 would come from the final attack from flurry.

Oops - that's where I went wrong. I had a feeling there were two extra flurry attacks, but I looked for them at the top of the ability description, instead of the bottom.

The sequence should be +15/+15/+15/+10/+5 primary, and +15/+10 off-hand (with ITWF, or +15/+10/+5 with GTWF). Your first off-hand attack is at the same bonus as your primary attacks.

I wasn't taking penalties into account, so it would be lower values (unless Oversized TWF (I think I have the name of the feat right) was being used, in which case the off-hand longsword would be considered a light weapon and the penalties would only be -2).

Right.

-Hyp.

Remove ads