• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whirlwind Attack and Great Cleave

Morrow

First Post
I know I've read up on how these two feats interact. It never mattered to me before, but now the fighter in the game I DM has both. Can someone give me the quick and dirty on this combination? Thanks.

Morrow

GorTeX

First Post
They don't interact at all. from the SRD on Whirlwind Attack:
When you use the Whirlwind Attack feat, you also forfeit any bonus or extra attacks granted by other feats, spells, or abilities

If you use Whirlwind, you cannot use any feat/spell/ability to increase the number of attacks you get..so great cleave doesl not work when using Whirlwind.

Sejs

First Post
Yep, as Gortex said. The two do not interact at all, as is expressly laid out in the Whirlwind Attack text.

If you WWA you do not gain extra attacks for performing a Flurry of Blows, being in a Whirling Frenzy, being Hasted, fighting with two weapons, you cannot cleave or great cleave, etc, etc.

Morrow

First Post
Look at that, right there in the feat description. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Morrow

Machiavelli

First Post
If you're a barbarian or somesuch with a single, nasty attack, then WWA is good for wading into a roiling throng of enemy mooks and wading back out in a frothy sea of blood.

Votan

Explorer
Sejs said:
Yep, as Gortex said. The two do not interact at all, as is expressly laid out in the Whirlwind Attack text.

If you WWA you do not gain extra attacks for performing a Flurry of Blows, being in a Whirling Frenzy, being Hasted, fighting with two weapons, you cannot cleave or great cleave, etc, etc.

Otherwise great fun could be had with 20 critters with 1 hp and AC 11 thrown into a square next tot he ancient dragon: you could do amazing amounts of damage by tearing into the critters and great cleaving every successful kill (19 or so on average) into the dragon.

Few things could handle that sort of pounding.

Heck, I wonder if there is an appropriate spell to summon a group of critters . . .

Crothian

First Post
Votan said:
Otherwise great fun could be had with 20 critters with 1 hp and AC 11 thrown into a square next tot he ancient dragon: you could do amazing amounts of damage by tearing into the critters and great cleaving every successful kill (19 or so on average) into the dragon.

Few things could handle that sort of pounding.

I found that players had fun being able to do this. But really seemed to see it differenmtly when it was done towards them. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads