D&D 5E White Plume Mountain: Tales of the Yawning Portal play report (Spoilerific!)

Tintael

Explorer
I'm now 2/3 of the way through this adventure and thought I would give an update.

First, the players are loving it. At first they had a lot of problems with characters falling into deep water in their armor and nearly . (The kelpies, the room with the valve). I was letting them hold their breath and roll athletics checks to get back into shallow water, but they kept failing and it was too many dice rolls and too much frustration. So after this I dialled back the number of rolls I asked for and just let them succeed at things if their solution was well thought-out.

The frictionless room didn't give too much trouble, but it did take a long time for them to design their solution, which involved a folding boat, a ladder and some rope. Similarly the terraced room was fun, but took a while for them to work out how best to use the clerics "Control water" spell, although it didn't seem that hard to me.

A few things to be aware of. The encounters are *wildly* unbalanced. They ranged from very easy (the giant crab, which doesn't seem to be immune to polymorph and has only a single attack per turn) to ridiculously hard. Sir Bluto alone is a CR 9 encounter, when you add *eight* other baddies in the same room, you are getting an insane number of attacks on the party for massive damage each round. I reduced the number of minions to four, and played the monsters somewhat dumb and it was still a very tough encounter for the party.

Looking forward to wrapping it up soon.

Remove ads