• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

White Wolf viciously attacks everyone who roleplays for fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Etan Moonstar

First Post
Nisarg said:
What is interesting is that no one has been able to refute what I have posted: it is there, in the book, marked in stone. How else can it possibly be interpreted?

How else can it possibly be interpreted? Hmmm, let's look at that quote again:

"Just don't get lost in the Ivory Tower. Don't deride those who see gaming as a fun hobby (which it is), or those whose roleplaying stories don't aim higher. Instead, encourage and persuade players to stretch their boundries. Storytelling is about acheiving something great through an interactive tale, but not at the expense of fun."

Let's see, I interpret "don't get lost in the Ivory Tower" and "don't deride those who see gaming as a fun hobby" as meaning don't get so self-absorbed in your own preferred playing style that you dismiss or put down the style of others. "Encourage and persuade players to stretch their boundaries"? Any DMs here who don't do that on a fairly regular basis? "Storytelling is about achieving something great through an interactive tale"? Anybody checked out some of the Storytelling threads lately? I thought there was some pretty good stuff there, and not particularly pretentious. Finally, "not at the expense of fun" seems to imply pretty strongly to me that the guy who wrote this is promoting having fun while gaming, not being pretentious to the point that it robs the game of fun.

Man, I'm not terribly fond of the World of Darkness line myself (don't hate them, but it's just not my thing), but it seems kind of silly to hate a company so much that you manage to twist their words to mean the exact opposite of their obvious meaning. Shouldn't we leave that kind of ridiculousness to the politicians? :lol:

Edit: Removed a stray apostrophe.

Last edited:

coyote6

Adventurer
First -- if I die laughing right now, I'm instructing my next of kin to talk to you, sir. ;)

Second, and more importantly...

Barastrondo said:
and even recruited the inestimable (contact) as a consultant on a couple of Relics & Rituals books

Ooo, which ones?

Mythtify

First Post
Nisarg said:
Sorry Jim but I already fought that fight on RPG.net... go find my postings on there if you want to see my full argument.

The short argument (which is all you'll get here) is that the decline in interest in RPGs was caused by a massive philosophical shift in gaming from RPGs being for fun, to RPGs being "story-based", with a strong emphasis on metaplot, railroading, story over rules/setting/characters/etc, and in-game fiction. ................... It led countless people to leave the hobby forever, and was only halted with the advent of D20 and the good work of people like Jonathan Tweet and Ryan Dancey, designing the games and the market theory to bring RPGs back to being about having fun, and not about being pretentious and giving failed authors a chance to show off their b-grade fiction.QUOTE]

Jonathan Tweet along with Mark Reinhagen designed Ars Magica, which was one of the first "story-driven" rpg. The first edtion or vampire had many of the same basic mechanics as Aras Magica, though they threw in dice pools instead of using a single die. If anything, Jonathan Tweet is responsible for making WW a success. Before Lion Rampart (Tweet's and Reinhagen's company) merged with WW, WW was only a RPG magazine.

Jonthan Tweet is one of the best designers I can think of. It was his name on the PHB that caused me to come back to D&D after leaving when 2nd edtion came out.

I just thought that it is a little amusing that one of your RPG saviours can also be seen as responsible for your angst. No Tweet, no Ars Magic, No world of darkness.

Last edited:

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Nisarg said:
What is interesting is that no one has been able to refute what I have posted: it is there, in the book, marked in stone. How else can it possibly be interpreted?

Well, in this thread alone I've seen it both interpreted as a pretentious (but not vicious) marketing ploy and a mear statement of fact that is indifferent in itself.

These interpritations were made by people who speak and write English as their first language, and I imagine a few for how the language is a second or third one. A writer for the product you mentioned says that your interpritation was not their intention. I mention these authorities because English is primarily a form of comunication and what the receiver of a comunication gets from the message indicates the sucess of the language. Many of the people who posted in opposition to you are the recipiants of the message. This conclusively shows that the quote can be interpreted diffrently.

Of course, a play by play might help...
WoD Book said:
Many roleplaying games are more concerned with rules and statistics than the drama created within the game.

True statement. (AFAIK) Many roleplaying games are, in fact, more concerned with rules and statistics than the drama created created within the game.

These cames give the GM free licence to create as much or a litlle drama as they wish. Of course, what the main rulebook concernes itself with and what the people who play the game concern themselves with are diffrent things.

Some people call those roll-playing games, since they're more focused on dice-rolling than on role-playing

Another true statment, some people do, in fact, call those roll-playing games.

...Just don't get lost in the Ivory Tower

Ah! Something that requires more indepth interpretation.

Many people (myself included) intreprite this statement as such: "Don't be a system snob, we write for the other guys too."

Don't deride those who see gaming as a fun hobby (which it is), or those whose roleplaying stories don't aim higher.

This elaborates on the ivory tower comment. They state that gaming is supposed to be fun and that people don't always like the heavy handed shared story approch that the WoD rulebook will likely embrace. (Pun intended ;) )

Instead, encourage and persuade players to stretch their boundries.

This is an admission of the silver medal status WW enjoys in the marketplace: most people will indeed play Vampire or another WoD game after having played D&D for sometime. If you're an aspiring WoD player or Storyteller, then you will need to convince some people to play something other than D&D. Need I remind you that people often need convincing to play a d20 game that isn't D&D? WoD isn't remotly like d20 from a game mechanic pov.

The boundries here arn't the boundries of bad gameing (as you interprite it), but the boundries of familrity. Prospective storytellers will need to convince people to try a new game; a game they are not familer with on any level.

Storytelling is about acheiving something great through an interactive tale, but not at the expense of fun.

They re-enforce the fun part. Earlier they stated that diffrent people have fun diffrently, now they want state that people (ie storytellers) need make sure that the game if fun for the whole group. Storytelling is the name of their system (or, at least it used to be), so the statement makes sence from a marketing pov. Interactve tale sets their rulebook's goal as diffrent from the other guys alluded to above.

My interpritation: the quote you cite wasn't written to viciously attack everyone who roleplays for fun, but to tell thouse who see role-playing as art (I belive Spector made clamed that roleplaying was art) that the WoD game is supposed to be fun, but a diffrent kind of fun from D&D.

Nisarg

Banned
Banned
Mythtify said:
Jonathan Tweet along with Mark Reinhagen designed Ars Magica, which was one of the first "story-driven" rpg. The first edtion or vampire had many of the same basic mechanics as Aras Magica, though they threw in dice pools instead of using a single die. If anything, Jonathan Tweet is responsible for making WW a success. Before Lion Rampart (Tweet's and Reinhagen's company) merged with WW, WW was only a RPG magazine.

Jonthan Tweet is one of the best designers I can think of. It was his name on the PHB that caused me to come back to D&D after leaving when 2nd edtion came out.

I just thought that it is a little amusing that one of your RPG saviours can also be seen as responsible for your angst. No Tweet, no Ars Magic, No world of darkness.

Well, I wholeheartedly agree with you that Tweet is a great game designer. Thats some common ground at least.

However, consider the things Tweet has worked on besides Ars Magica: Over the Edge and Everway, both of which are REAL rules-lite games. And D&D 3.0, which is not rules lite but is (IMO) the best implementation of D&D.
All of these games are character-driven, not story driven, and the first two are far far more innovative than anything WW has ever done. All without the sort of nonsense we saw from Rein·Hagen about how Vampire was a revolution in gaming, all without the pretentiousness of White Wolf.

In fact, I've always been 50/50 on Ars Magica and I can bet that the 50% i liked was Tweet's contribution.

Its funny how the REALLY intelligent or innovative games (Over the Edge, Amber, Feng Shui, M&M, etc) don't have to run around screaming about how "intelligent" they are or how much better their players are for playing them.

Nisarg

------
"In 1991, White Wolf Almost Destroyed the Gaming Industry. In 2004, 'Almost' Isn't Going To Cut It."
-ESKemp, white wolf employee

Last edited:

Corinth

First Post
Ideas drive culture, culture determines politics, politics determines who wins and who loses. As it is in all things, so it is with this most trivial of matters.

Gothmog

First Post
Nisarg said:
Sorry Jim but I already fought that fight on RPG.net... go find my postings on there if you want to see my full argument.

The short argument (which is all you'll get here) is that the decline in interest in RPGs was caused by a massive philosophical shift in gaming from RPGs being for fun, to RPGs being "story-based", with a strong emphasis on metaplot, railroading, story over rules/setting/characters/etc, and in-game fiction. This was fueled by the apparent success of White Wolf's Vampire, which was indeed successful but mostly because they tapped a new group of players who had no previous interest in RPGs and the vast majority of whm never would have an interest in other RPGs than the WoD. So the other major companies, including TSR, ran themselves into the ground trying to copy WW's story-based design theory in a vain hope of getting some of those people on board, while alienating their existing fanbase. It led countless people to leave the hobby forever, and was only halted with the advent of D20 and the good work of people like Jonathan Tweet and Ryan Dancey, designing the games and the market theory to bring RPGs back to being about having fun, and not about being pretentious and giving failed authors a chance to show off their b-grade fiction.

Nisarg
Apparently and admittedly the Master of the Obvious
(but only because so many others are trying to deny the obvious)

This has got to be one of the most surreal and sad threads I've ever seen. Face it Nisarg, on a board of die-hard D&D fans, if your WW conspiracy theories don't fly, then there is nothing to them. I have to agree with Etan Moonstar, I'm getting exactly the opposite message from that passage (and the preceeding and subsequent text in the WoD book) than you're getting from it. You're bitter, you've got an axe to grind for some reason, and when nobody here agrees with you, you get more venomous. To me, that dismisses your arguement as personal, petty, and half-baked. This also seems like a really silly thing to get so upset about compared to many much more serious issues that face people in today's world.

And for the record, I'm not a big WW system fan. I find the dice pool system to produce wonky gameplay due to a rather strange probability effect, but the background and story elements in the WoD stuff is top notch and very creative. The WoD is afterall a superhero game where the players take on the roles of monsters, but also grapple with inner demons and morality. The monster/superhero aspect of the game doesn't appeal to me, but the moral ambiguity of the game does, and while I don't still play WW games, I have incorporated some of the thematic and moral ideas from their games into my D&D game, with great results. What WW did in the early 90's was show people you could have fun with a RPG by incorporating ideas into the game that were NOT about kicking in the door, killing the monster, and taking its loot. This appeals to a rather juvenile mindset, and while its fun to do occasionally, killing and looting quickly lose their appeal to most folks. I applaud their efforts for broadening the horizons of gaming, and bringing more people into gaming (especially female gamers). You can try to dispute this if you like, but its the reality of what WW did to gaming.

What nearly killed RPGs was the CCG craze Magic started. Chaosium, previously a pretty strong publisher, nearly lost it all with the Call of Cthulhu CCG. Many other companies tried to branch into CCGs (TSR with Spellfire for example), and took a big hit. In addition, the biggest RPG company at the time TSR, was being run by people who didn't know anything about gaming, and who mismanaged product lines, overextending themselves, which caused the ruination of TSR. It wasn't due to inferior product (many people point to Planescape, Dark Sun, and Birthright as three of the best settings TSR produced, all during its final days), it was due to bad business practices, pure and simple. In addition, younger players wanted instant gratification and a quick game, which CCGs gave them, while RPGs could not. As more and more players gravitated to CCGs, the RPG player base kinda dried up, and people who had been regular gamers in the 80s as kids were suddenly in their 20s, facing jobs, marriage, and kids- all of which cut into gaming time. Mainly CCGs, but also an aging gaming demographic are what cut RPG sales bigtime, not a plot by WW to "kill gaming". That statement is ridiculous in the first place- why would a gaming company, whose success depends on the sale of gaming items, want to end RPGs? Think through a statement like that before you make it. :confused:

If anything, WW helped to keep RPGs alive in the mid to late 90s. While D&D was in a slump, Vampire, Werewolf, and Mage had huge loyal followings because they were innovative, new, and fresh. I don't know how many former die-hard D&D players I knew switched over to WW completely because TSR wasn't releasing often, and because they were tired of the same old D&Disms that hadn't been updated for 20 years. GURPS also got a mild upswing during this time, and started shooting out sourcebooks like there was no tomorrow. WW was successful because all of their sourcebooks could (theoretically) be used with each other as part of the same world, so they sold tons of units of even the splatbooks they made. TSR on the other hand, had something like 6 campaign settings running at the same time, whose sourcebooks were independent of each other, and therefore they took a hit having to make small print runs (more expensive for the publisher), and uncertain customer support as their support for each world became less frequent since they were havint to split resources. So you shouldn't be lambasting WW for what they did, but praising them for keeping some portion of the gaming community alive for 5 years or so.

Last edited:

iblis

First Post
Nisarg said:
<-SNIP->
...However, consider the things Tweet has worked on besides Ars Magica: Over the Edge and Everway, both of which are REAL rules-lite games. And D&D 3.0, which is not rules lite but is (IMO) the best implementation of D&D.
All of these games are character-driven, not story driven...
<-SNIP->

I've been reading the posts on this thread with a mixture of thoughts and feelings, and it is with hesitation that I comment at all here (given also that I am perfectly content to play and run D&D 3.5 - which is currently the most played, WW ST, and other systems ranging from popular to long-dead), but...

I have no idea what you mean with the above. For the record, the majority of your other posts seem unclear to me, as well.

I believe I recognise one of the highlighted terms, namely 'character-driven'. As far as I know, this is generally applied to one of two broad categories of story, the other being 'plot-driven'. As you were comparing roleplaying games, what's the connection (if any), and what do you mean exactly by each term, regardless?

What makes an RPG character-driven, as opposed to story-driven? What are the pros and cons of each, in your view?

IMO, if the distinction remotely resembles the difference between types of story, you might be hard pressed to argue a case for either...and if you could, I doubt that you could convert others to the 'one true way' to roleplay.

[vent]Overall, what is it about internet forums that apparently inspires this kind of religious fanaticism invested in (seemingly unreasoned) personal attacks, as (regrettably) witnessed here? Is it that the internet provides 'cover'? The tone of voice, facial expressions or body language might give the game away for what it is?

Or do the people who do that online, do it IRL as well? If so, I can just imagine how long they'd last around any of the people I roleplay with. Face to face, I suspect that any one of them could disassemble that kind of trash talk and reveal some obvious facts, no doubt a good deal more eloquently than I can here.[/vent]

Anyway, I am (morbidly) curious in anticipation of your response. If it helps to get to the supposed heart of the matter, i.e. what exactly your grievance is, and with what it is (and/or whom), then good. As it stands, none of this seems clear. If White Wolf, the company, is your Satan, can you lay down an irrefutable case against that company? If it is a type of RPG, what precisely is that type and what is so terribly wrong with it that you feel a zealous need to 'illuminate others' accordingly? If it is certain people, who are they and why do you loathe them? If it is a type of person, then 'divide & conquer' away - you would hardly be the first. Or is it something else entirely?

OK, your goat is got, but who or what has it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads