• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Whither the d12 in 4e?

Klaus

First Post
CleverNickName said:
According to the 3.5 SRD, orc warriors are proficient with all simple weapons and either the falchion or the greataxe.
Of course, being Warriors, they're proficient with all simple and martial weapons.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
CleverNickName said:
If the lack of d12 action has you down, and if you are frustrated with the inability to "roll" a triangle, here is a quick solution: instead of rolling a d4, roll a d12 and divide by 3. The d12 gets more tabletop action, and that easy-to-fudge d4 stays in the dice bag where it belongs.

Of course, you would have to do division with every roll, and multiple d4s in a single throw would only make it worse. Here's an idea: you could have Koplow Games manufacture a custom set of d12s for you that are numbered from 1 to 4, three times. (I'm kidding, of course, but only halfway. Koplow requires a minimum order of, like, a hundred dice or something for a custom die...but I'd go in for ten bucks worth if someone in this thread were interested. I collect unique dice.)
It's already made! I think by Chessex, but it could be Koplow. The 12-sided d4 uses Roman Numerals, thus is numbered I to IV three times. They are available in three different "speckled" dice colors: Arctic Camo, Granite, and Urban Camo. We carry them, and I think they are about $0.80 each.

teitan

Legend
Fifth Element said:
The d12 has always been the least-used die. In 3.5 (core), it was used for barbarian hit dice, (medium) greataxe damage and...anything else?

In 1E (core), it was used for longsword and awl pike damage against Large opponents and...anything else?

It's always been barely used. I doubt 4E will change that.

It was used for Barbarian hit die in 1e also

HukdUnFonx

Explorer
I'm so glad to see this thread; all this time, I'd thought I was alone in my obsession with the d12. I'm playing a greataxe-wielding barbarian for exactly that reason, regardless of the fact that a greatsword is mathematically Just Plain Better.

Kudos to you, fellow dodecaphiles. Long live the d12!

Kunimatyu

First Post
Since we know from designer comments that throwing ten dice at a time won't be that common in 4e, I expect to see a lot more d12 action -- perhaps 3d12 damage spells and the like?

Remove ads