Who are the really interesting modern TTRPG designers?

Reynard

Legend
I'm talking about actual people, individuals who design TTRPGs.

A comment in another thread made me realize that I don't know a lot of the current crop of designers by name, and I would like to remedy that.

To that end: tell me about a modern, current designer doing interesting work in TTRPGs and what that work looks like, where to get it, and what's interesting about it.

I am NOT interested in hearing about your favorite designers from a bygone era unless they are actually doing something new and interesting today.

Thanks.

AK81

Explorer
I really like what the Dungeon Coach is doing with DC20.

It is a d20 game based on 5e, but with a lot of differences.

I especially like his 4 action economy that recharge at the end of your turn. You can use the action points to do different reactions outside of your turn, or on actions and moves on your turn. So you have the entire combat round to use your 4 action points.

Another neat idea is the Prime modifier, which is just your highest ability score. But you use it for attacks and spell casting. This means that you can more easily build an unconventional character. You don't need to pump your strength to the max as a barbarian, maybe you want to be a smart barbarian instead.

aco175

Legend
Interesting is a bit of a loaded word. I thought the Coyote & Crow stuff looked interesting and new, but not something I would buy. I have not seem much I want to buy lately.

Shawn Tompkin - Ironsworn, Starforged, Sundered Isles

Rob Schwalb - his game sensibilities are old school but his a la carte model is enticing

Jason Morningstar - has been quiet lately but his back catalogue is superb

Robin Laws - continues to be the most intellectual of game designers; read his Adventure Crucible (DriveThruRPG) for a taxonomy of game scenarios

SJB

Explorer
Jesse Ross, Trophy Gold
Paul Baldowski, The Dee Sanction
Scott Malthouse, Perilous Land (although the non-commercial version was better)
Tom McGrenery, Revolution Comes to the Kingdom
Paul Elliott, Zenobia (perhaps not young, but certainly not corporate)

Reynard

Legend
Jesse Ross, Trophy Gold
Paul Baldowski, The Dee Sanction
Scott Malthouse, Perilous Land (although the non-commercial version was better)
Tom McGrenery, Revolution Comes to the Kingdom
Paul Elliott, Zenobia (perhaps not young, but certainly not corporate)
As noted in the OP, some discussion of why these games and designers are interesting is helpful.

Atomoctba

Adventurer
Jonathan Tweet and Robert Heinsoo can be considered "designers of old and bygone era", but they are still active with the new (if somewhat disappointing) version of 13th Age.

Tweet in himself has as impressive curriculum, like you his games or not. Among other things, he developed Ars Magica and the 3rd edition of D&D. And while not a TTRPG, around 2020, he created a fun card game named Clades to teach evolution theory for children.

Another old developer still active is Monte Cook, that created Numenera and the experimental (and very weird) Invisible Sun.

For more new developers in the independent and indie scene, you can check this article: 10 Indie TTRPG Designers To Watch In 2022

Remove ads