• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

who are the Shadowrunners among us?

Ranger5

First Post
Used to play A LOT back in my college days 10 years ago. But alas that has passed. Great setting, great game, and had the best magic system ever in an RPG.

IronWolf

blank
I used to play in the 90's a little. My brother was into it. In fact he recently started playing again I believe.

As for GenCon, I know there is at least one person over on their forums asking about some Shadowrun games....

Hitokiri

First Post
:D
I'm a big fan of the setting, but I find the rules generally cumbersome and the rulebooks horribly laid out. Still probably the most fun in any type of modern/sci-fi style RP game I've had before. Probably the reason why I've played in two campaigns and GMed one.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I know that ENWorld Posters Clueless, Shemeska, Gerzel, and Toras are all Shadowrun players, and Clueless seems quite the fan of the game. I've never played it myself, though I hope to sometime, even though the success-based system, similar to White Wolf Storyteller system in terms of mechanic, is off-putting to me. I've loved the setting for years, even since I owned the 2nd edition book (and now the 3rd edition).

IcyCool

First Post
Play it, love it.

I think Thanee has played it as well. Or at least hung out on one of the SR boards I used to frequent.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I adore SR. I've gotten to play only one campaign of it (DM moved), but God was it good. It's probably my second favorite setting, and given the chance I'd consider running a game of it at some point. And, being that my Planescape campaign just wrapped up after a few years time, I may have that chance. ;)

francisca

I got dice older than you.
I've played it once. I had a good time of it. I look forward to playing it again when one of the players in my groups is ready to run it.

carpedavid

First Post
Ah, Shadowrun. The group I DM for now played a lot of Shadowrun in college. That RPG has it's own soundtrack for us: 21st Centry Jesus by Messiah. That CD played over and over and over again while we played.

We had a lot of fun playing that game. I've got great memories of those sessions: when Oasis nearly managed to shoot his way out of a cop shop before finally being gunned down in the parking lot; Hugo, the basilisk, who got taken out by a panther cannon; the night the PCs decided to blow up a Wal-Mart just over the border in the CSA; the chunky salsa effect; and dozens of others.

Never again though. That system had the most useless magic system, the most boring cyberspace simulation, and an incredible dependance on having the best initiative. When D&D 3.0 came out, we switched to playing that and never looked back.

GlassJaw

Hero
Cool. I'm glad to see there are some fellow runners in here. Too bad I don't live near any of you guys. I'm struggling to get a group going right now (one of my friends is an amazing GM). The cool thing about SR though is that it's just as fun, if not moreso, with a smaller group. I like 3-4 runner teams.

I've also noticed there isn't much middle ground with SR. People either love it or hate.

The context of the setting alone is probably amongst the very best I have ever seen in any role-playing game.

I agree. No other game evokes the same kind of feel and mood that SR does. I just get all fired up as soon as the game starts. And the best part? When the run goes bad (which is pretty much every time LOL). :D

As for GenCon, I know there is at least one person over on their forums asking about some Shadowrun games....

I started a GC thread on Dumpshock. Seems like there will be a good SR contigent at GC. I'm hoping to get into the SR tournament (which will probably be one of the first, if not the first, thing I register for).

I know they are also having a lot of introductory games as well.

That system had the most useless magic system, the most boring cyberspace simulation, and an incredible dependance on having the best initiative.

While I somewhat agree on the Matrix (although SR3 is a LOT better), I love the magic system. Usually that's the one thing that people cite as unique and the strongest about the SR system (it's also one of the most difficult to emulate in d20). As far as initiative goes, yeah, it's very important, but shouldn't that be the case? In a firefight, getting off the first shot can be all the difference.

But I don't want this to devolve into a SR rules discussion thread. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads