D&D 5E Who Are the Thri-Kreen?

R_J_K75

Legend
Opposite. Getting to Athas was not particularly complicated, leaving was the hard part.
You could start a campaign there...easy, getting there from another plane or sphere was just as hard as leaving. You had to go through the Grey and there was only a slight percentage you'd end up there and not some random plane iirc.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I’m already concocting potential PC ideas for these fellows.

That purple Thri-keen art gave me an idea for an Star Druid that follows the teachings of the Fate Weaver, an ancient Primal Spirit who is said to have weaved the stars into constellations so that her followers can read the night sky and decipher glimpses of their destinies.

Or perhaps a Swarmkeeper Ranger who’s swarms are in fact their ancestors that became primal spirits after their passing and take on the appearance of ghostly insects. They hone their skill as a hunter and heed the wisdom of their ancestral swarm.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
my love of biology agrees with you.

given we have heard very little about dark sun I would not be on it next year.

I wonder who the antagonist factions will be?
Astral Elven Empire, Neogi, Illithid, the Arcane, Space Clowns, and Scro/Goblin Hegemony Reborn Just to name a few. Whoops forgot about clockwork horrors, mechanical space locusts...

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
There are a lot of people here who don't remember/realize that the thri-kreen were major players in 2e Spelljammer, something entirely seperate from their role as major players in 2e Dark Sun.
I don't remember them actually being major players. Was that in one of the supplements? I don't remember them being a big deal in the original box.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I wouldn't stake anything on people being the new terminology, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if race gets the boot. It has IRL associations that aren't at all helpful when talking about fictive nonhumans.
I prefer Level Up's heritage myself. Have been consciously trying to use that term in my writing, in fact.

Remove ads