• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Who can use a scroll

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (He/him)
Let's remember that magic scrolls are not the only type of scroll in the world. Just as there is non-magical armor, non-magical rings, and even non-magical potions, most likely the most dominant form of short written communication and record keeping in any D&D world is the scroll. We refer to the magical kind simply as scrolls because they are kind that the game is chiefly concerned with. But to narrow the definition of a scroll to either spell scroll or scroll of protection is to fail to acknowledge that there are many mundane scrolls for which there are no special rules at all.

Hriston

Can a fighter with no spellcasting classes cast a spell from a scroll? The DMG (p139) says that "Any creature that can understand a written language can read the arcane script on a scroll and attempt to activate it." The scroll mishap table (DMG, p140) says that "A creature who tries and fails to cast a spell from a spell scroll must make a DC 10 intelligence saving throw. If the saving throw fails, roll on the spell mishap table." Would I be correct in assuming that if I make the DC 10 save (as DM I would add the spell level), that I successfully cast the spell?

Assuming the scroll is not a scroll of protection, which I'm sure it isn't since your question was specifically about casting spells, the short answer is no, the fighter would not be able to use the scroll. He or she may attempt to use the scroll, as it says in the text you quoted, and would certainly fail because of the requirement that the spell be on the character's class's spell list. If you use the scroll mishap variant, which is optional, the fighter would then make the intelligence saving throw you mentioned to see if any of the described ill-effects are suffered.

The general procedure for using a scroll is this: if it's a scroll of protection, you're good. Anyone can use it. If it's a spell scroll, a character may only use the scroll if the spell it contains appears on his or her class's spell list. If not the scroll is unusable, and any attempt to read it will result in failure. If the spell is of the correct type for the caster and is of a level for which the caster has spell slots, then the spell may be cast. But if the spell is of a higher level, the caster must make an intelligence (arcana) check with a DC of 10 + the spell's level to see if the casting is successful. Only if the caster fails this check, and if you are using the rules variant, would the caster make an intelligence save to see if a mishap occurs. In any event the scroll is consumed.

Woas

First Post
It may be a bit less confusing if you rebrand the 'universal' scrolls into magical charms or other such items. Scroll of Protection could easily become a small vial of magic iron dust you sprinkle over your shoulder for example.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
Rename spell scrolls "spells".

Scrolls are fantastic. They are a source of knowledge and wisdom, and they may contain enchantments that go above and beyond spells and delve into rare and unexpected results.

Hriston

It's really not very confusing to have two types of scroll. Think about how many different types of armor there are. Some of them don't let you use your dex bonus and require a minimum str score or they reduce your movement. Maybe we should call those "battle-shells" instead so people don't get confused. Scrolls are part of the flavor that I wouldn't part with myself, and I like that there is a class of scrolls that any character can use.

Last edited:

Hereticus

First Post
Assuming the scroll is not a scroll of protection, which I'm sure it isn't since your question was specifically about casting spells, the short answer is no, the fighter would not be able to use the scroll. He or she may attempt to use the scroll, as it says in the text you quoted, and would certainly fail because of the requirement that the spell be on the character's class's spell list. If you use the scroll mishap variant, which is optional, the fighter would then make the intelligence saving throw you mentioned to see if any of the described ill-effects are suffered.

The general procedure for using a scroll is this: if it's a scroll of protection, you're good. Anyone can use it. If it's a spell scroll, a character may only use the scroll if the spell it contains appears on his or her class's spell list. If not the scroll is unusable, and any attempt to read it will result in failure. If the spell is of the correct type for the caster and is of a level for which the caster has spell slots, then the spell may be cast. But if the spell is of a higher level, the caster must make an intelligence (arcana) check with a DC of 10 + the spell's level to see if the casting is successful. Only if the caster fails this check, and if you are using the rules variant, would the caster make an intelligence save to see if a mishap occurs. In any event the scroll is consumed.

It seems that if I want to cast a spell from a scroll... there's a feat for that.

Hriston

It seems that if I want to cast a spell from a scroll... there's a feat for that.

Yeah, sort of... as long as you have a wisdom or intelligence of 13, Ritual Caster lets you copy a spell from a scroll into your ritual book. The spell must have the ritual tag, it must be from the spell list you chose when you took the feat, and it can be no higher in level than half your level rounded up. You can then cast it as a ritual.

As far as I know, that's the only way to do it unless you take levels in something that gives you spell slots, or chose the Eldritch Knight archetype.

Remove ads