• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who created this 'Revolutionary RPG Format'?

darjr

I crit!
I haven’t liked either of those formats for rpg books.
In large part because the pdf tools I have are far superior for running games.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Why not just use an already established format like epub or mobi? And then you only need one file, note one for phones and one for larger devices...

Designing a consistent UX for the platform audiences are on is one of our principles. Here's the list of formats for #ZweihanderRPG:

🎲Traditional Print
🎲ePub
🎲Kindle
🎲Traditional digital pdf (ePDF)
🎲Phone PDF
🎲Roll20 Compendium (Dec 2019)
🎲HTML5 SRD (2020)

Designing a consistent UX for the platform audiences are on is one of our principles. Here's the list of formats for #ZweihanderRPG:

🎲Traditional Print
🎲ePub
🎲Kindle
🎲Traditional digital pdf (ePDF)
🎲Phone PDF
🎲Roll20 Compendium (Dec 2019)
🎲HTML5 SRD (2020)
Curious, are you using a content management system like ArborText so you only have to devlope it once or are you authoring it in a traditional layout tool and then duplicating and re-organizing it for each platform?

aramis erak

Legend
My wife and I had the same reaction to this press release: how is it revolutionary to have a larger font to make it easier to read and to reformat it? It's not different than a mobile view and a desktop view for a website...

Laying out text for good viewing experience on a phone using a fixed format like PDF is quite an art... I've been occasionally doing cheat sheets designed specifically for my players' common 4" phone screens.

Looking at the phone-pdf on my laptop, this will be marginally readable on my 5" phone; the normal one is totally unreadable on my phone.

A for effort, C- for execution. A proper illustrated ePub would have been a better choice. (and you can bind custom fonts into an ePub.)

aramis erak

Legend
Loaded the phone-PDF on my kindle oasis 7" eInk...
Links don't seem to work other than the TOC entries.
Text is small but (barely) readable; the layout is narrower than the oasis.
I stick by A for effort, C- for execution.

(For comparison, I opened the Tales from the Loop PDF on same said 7" kindle... text is a little smaller in TFL, but that's laid out for A4.... and displayed at 48% of layout size... )

Last edited:

Remove ads