• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who Do You Want Illustrating 4th Ed.?

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
blargney the second said:
Thanks for putting a name to the face!
Likewise! My first thought when reading the thread title was "the guy who painted the AE magister and the AE spell treasury cover. Or the guy who painted the panoramic scenes in the PHII, like the ones with the mountain valley with buildings carved into its walls. It turns out they're the same guy!

I also really like the color images of the eladrin wizard and the dwarf in the 4e gen con presentation.

Mostly though, I want to eradicate "dungeonpunk" figures with awkward poses and no backgrounds. I want to see mythic-styled characters in grand, adventurous scenes. The Lord of the Rings movies were so evocative because of the gorgeous imagery and larger than life locales. In books, imagery is cheap: hire a painter.

Reaper Steve

Explorer
AllisterH said:
I'm not sure armour should be designed so that it would look "ok" in a medieval-based setting.

The problem is that in D&D, the largest number of opponents you're going to face are beings that will grapple barehanded, will want to bearhug you or simply try and swallow you whole.

If I was a D&D fighter, I'm giving SERIOUS consideration to anything with spikes and sharp/uneven edges. ANYTHING that makes the monster go "yeesh, too spikey to eat" is going to be a VERY popular choice.

The "spikey" look is probably more "realistic" for D&D than the somewhat smooth armour look.

I can agree with that, as long as it's not taken to extremes... as it has been in many 3E illos.
But on the scale of historical accuracy vs. cool to look at by today's target audience's standards, I favor the latter. Historically accurate armor is so 15th century.

Reaper Steve

Explorer
barsoomcore said:
In other words, you agree with Hobo.

James Heard clearly said that Wayne Reynolds is a low-rent illustrator whose lack of skill makes him attractive to RPG editors, because they don't have to pay him as much as they would more talented artists. If that's not what he meant, then he should clarify.

Yikes!
I happen to like most of WAR's stuff, but at the same time I can see what turns some people off from it. However, while I know next to nothing about art, I don't see how someone can argue that WAR has a lack of skill. I also seriously doubt that he is even close to low-rent. Basic supply and demand... it appears his art is in high demand an there's only one WAR to churn it out.

Soel

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
Strangely enough, I don't care much for his colour stuff (though it is usually well-executed). But I TOTALLY dig his soft B/W pieces!
Like the ones here or here.

Cheers, LT.

I prefer his b&w work as well. It sold me on FFG's Mythic Races, Malhavoc's Mindscapes/Hyperconscious and Eden Studios Liber Bestarius.

AllisterH

First Post
If Miura drew Guts in the PHB (Mr. "I'm compensating for something with my sword") I don't think WOTC can withstand the deluge of grognards unhappy with that image.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads