• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who else considers he has now enough d20 stuff and won't buy more?

Turanil

First Post
Yes, it's a sort of rant...

With my last purchase (which disappointed me), I decided that I probably have more than enough d20/D&D material (appr. 50 books) and now must stop. Of course I have yet to get the last one (d20 Past), maybe one or two modules so I don't need write my own, but I am basically done. In any case I don't use much of most of these books. Better try to plunder them again anytime I can, rather than succumb to the sirens of Internet marketing and still buy more stuff. I see that I am less and less enlivened by what I purchase. Now is time to stop and just use what I have (in any case it's more than I can use).

The problem is, that if more and more react like me, the market will probably not live for long. So, what about you?

Turjan

Explorer
I'm not that strict in my decision, but basically that is what happened to me already some time last year. Most d20 companies were not producing anything that interested me, because most things important to me had been covered already numerous times. Btw, this is also true for WotC material; why buy 'Races of Stone', if I already have 'Hammer and Helm'? Nowadays, I'm still buying some FR stuff, because I like it, AU material, some other setting-related publications and material for other RPG's that might be useful. If I would be representative, even WotC would feel a sales reduction. Obviously, i'm not a representative case :).

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Turanil said:
... maybe one or two modules so I don't need write my own ...

I hope you'll still pick up the FREE Cooperative Dungeons as they come out. Surely, you can find a use for those? (and, yes, I'll stop calling you "Surely") ;)

Sado

First Post
I've got maybe a dozen books, and that's more than I can see myself ever neding to enjoy D&D. I will continue to get Lone Wolf RPG material as it comes out because I am a raving fanboy, but other than that, I no longer seek every shiny new thing that comes out.

Turanil

First Post
Mark said:
I hope you'll still pick up the FREE Cooperative Dungeons as they come out. Surely, you can find a use for those?
Certainly. Nothing can beat up a good ol' magic word like this one. (I mean: FREE)

I've never felt the need to buy "every shiny thing". However, I'm only interested in books that give me a very few things (other than Eberron, which is quite broad), and only if those books aren't a bad package deal.

As a result, I buy very little D20 material these days.

PS for the second time my post was altered to create links to RPGNow and WotC. What the heck?

Last edited:

feydras

First Post
I can't be done as long as Privateer Press is still publishing, although admittedly painfully slow. Their Iron Kingdoms World Guide is due out next month and it looks great. No crunch, tons of dense world info dripping with atmosphere and innovative ideas. The Iron Kingdoms leaves Eberon in the dust as far as i'm concerned. Although, Privateer could use a solid schooling on rules.

- feydras

Crothian

First Post
Nope, never fully stop. There are still areas no one is covering, there are still good ideas and good produicts that are coming out. I've cut back in what I am buying, but as I look on the many books that are out I still see glaring gaps of content that I want filled for my games.

danbuter

First Post
I have definately slowed down my gaming purchases. I also got rid of almost 100 books over the last year. Many of them I had bought, skimmed through, and put on the shelf, never to be read.
Now that I have the Complete books, the only things I'm really looking for are Eberron books and a few others. It's also a matter of money. I figured out how much I was spending on gaming, and went into some serious sticker shock.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads