• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who else considers he has now enough d20 stuff and won't buy more?

Kalendraf

Explorer
I would like to slow down my spending on books somewhat, and now that I have the 4 complete books, I probably will to some degree. The only book I'm currently eyeing is WotC's upcoming aberration book specifically because aberrations factor heavily into my campaign. I also plan to buy more of WotC's plastic figures.

I am always on the lookout for adventures. I typically buy any that look remotely interesting, simply because I find taht creating adventures is my hardest job, and any help I can get there is worth it.

Beyond that, I'll keep on eye on the pdf stuff available on rpgnow. I've bought several of them in the past and will likely continue to pick these up.

Joël of the FoS

First Post
I'm buying all that comes out for the Ravenloft line as I support it and wishes to see it continuing (but I'm not closing my mouth on defective books - if something is wrong, you have to say so).

Smaller lines should be supported by the fans, IMHO.

Joël

realmprotector

Explorer
I gave up on d20 after 3.5 came out. I still collect the other editions as well as Buffy/Angel and I'll probably be picking up the Serenity RPG when it comes out as it is it's own system and not d20.

woodelf

First Post
Mythmere1 said:
d20 specifically I've quit buying, because I've switched systems, but my gaming expenditures are up pretty sharply. So in terms of the gaming industry surviving, I'm doing my part - just buying Castles & Crusades stuff instead of d20.

Man, we need some better terminology--damn you, WotC, and your attempt to proprietize a common noun! <shakes fist at sky> Anyway, that was a bit of a double-take for me: I think of Castles & Crusades as "D20 System"--after all, it's based on the D20SRD, and it's basically just a streamlined version of D&D3E, isn't it?

Crothian

First Post
woodelf said:
Man, we need some better terminology--damn you, WotC, and your attempt to proprietize a common noun! <shakes fist at sky> Anyway, that was a bit of a double-take for me: I think of Castles & Crusades as "D20 System"--after all, it's based on the D20SRD, and it's basically just a streamlined version of D&D3E, isn't it?

not really. It doesn't use skills, it has way more classes, and there seems to be other signifcant chanfes as well. It might be based on d20 in some degree but the changes really seem to make it something else.

twofalls

DM Beadle
Hmm...

I've been collecting books for the entire time I've been running games, which also happens to be the entire time I've rolepayed... over 26 years. I've not ever thrown away, sold, traded, or lost (that I know of) as single rpg item.

Since D20 came out I've been purchasing books at the rate of 2-3 a month, and if anything that trend has only increased lately. I really enjoy reading rpg game books. I have THOUSANDS of products in my game room. My players seem to approve as several years ago we decided to have group dues and that money is put into a treasury and used mostly to buy books for me to consume. We've also used it for example to pick up copies of Arcana Unearthed for all the players, the Gamma World Players Handbook for all the players, etc.

Just this month I've engaged in my largest game purchase ever, Sword&Sorcery's entire Scarred Lands campiagn book set and all related material (just over 30 d20 books). No, I can't say that I'm slowing down... but then why should I? I'm not breaking myself financially, and if that makes me a junkie... well ok. I'm certainly having a good time with it all. :)

woodelf

First Post
Crothian said:
not really. It doesn't use skills, it has way more classes, and there seems to be other signifcant chanfes as well. It might be based on d20 in some degree but the changes really seem to make it something else.

AFAIC, Spycraft, Grimm, and Mutants & Masterminds are "D20 System". Castles & Crusades probably still qualifies (though, in fairness, i haven't read it yet). D&D3E-compatible? no. D20 System-logoed? no. But D20 System? yes.

Turjan

Explorer
woodelf said:
AFAIC, Spycraft, Grimm, and Mutants & Masterminds are "D20 System". Castles & Crusades probably still qualifies (though, in fairness, i haven't read it yet). D&D3E-compatible? no. D20 System-logoed? no. But D20 System? yes.
So what about Talislanta 4th ed. or HeroQuest then :D?

Crothian

First Post
woodelf said:

Spycraft is actually really close to D&D d20. Grimm is also really close to it as well. M&M branches out more but still has the skills and feats and the typical d20 items. C&C goes even farther away then these games. It is all gray area.

Turanil

First Post
Well, Castles & Crusades may be not true d20, but it looks damn close to D&D 3e and D&D 1e merged together. In fact I have bought the PHB a few days ago. For half the price of the last d20 book I purchased 1 month ago (and which had me begin this thread out of disappointment), I have got sooo much more satisfaction. Now I think I will probably buy the other two C&C books (though I am not sure they would be that much useful, since C&C as is can be used with 1e, 2e, and 3e books).

I still think I am not going to buy anymore 3.5 stuff except for d20 Past and DMG II (but only after carefully looking into them), and while C&C is surprisingly pleasant, they are probably not going to release hordes of books for it.

So well, I still think I have enough d20 stuff right now.

Remove ads