• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who else hates seeing enemies Raised / Resurrected / Wished Back?

Do you hate seeing enemies Raised / Resurrected / Wished Back?

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Sauce. Gander. Goose.

The PCs can do things to make it harder for Bob, Lord of EEEVIL! to come back.

Truthfully though - I don't think it is that big a problem, Elveera, Mistress of EEEVIL! is more likely to see Bob's death as a shortcut to power, rather than waste time and money raising the old sumbitch anyway.

The Auld Grump, EEEVIL! I say! EEEVIL!

As a player, I love it when a previously defeated NPC offers his xp up to me again. If he brings more loot for me as well, all the better. I am sure that the characters generally feel less good about it.

A

amerigoV

Sorry if it is good for the PCs it is good for the NPCs. That said it is a cheesy move by DM if over done.

On the cheesy part, that really depends on the villan. If every BBEG at every level seems to pop back up again- yeah, cheesy. But to say that intelligent high level BBEGs do not have a contingency plan is a bit cheesy as well.

In Return To the Temple Of Elemental Evil there was a room with some clones in it for one of the powerful priests. I expanded it a bit to be more of the leadship. While its all fun and games to be priest of an insane, imprisoned god, its probably no fun to actually meet them in the afterlife.

Of course, the flip side might be evil gods might not let many souls go back via those spells.

MACLARREN

Explorer
Hate it as well. We have used it in the past but none of us were fans. Our current game is a combination of Trailbalzer, Conan RPG, Pathfinder, 3.5 D&D, and 4e along with house rules throughout. We have no in game healing during combat. This works very well for us with armor as DR and buffing a limited selection of spells to work with. If you want to heal during combat, Bears Endurance or Mass Bears endurance come in handy. It is nice going in knowing what you have and when it's done, it's done and combat does not lag on and on. Not for everyone but it works great if you give it a try. None of us thought we would like any of it but now don't want it any other way. Active defense is also in play which keeps players involved. It is fun to roll off against the DM and it does not slow down game play.

With resurrection, it is not there. Instead, we have Fate Points that we use and took from Conan/Trailblazer I believe. However, a little twist with them. You get one every 5 levels. You can never have more then 2 at any given time. You can use these to alter a crushing blow that would otherwise kill you outright to make it miss. You can use them to change the story. You can use them to take down spells etc. They are your get out of jail free cards. However, you cannot use them to save someone else. This works well for us and we have a campaign that is played twice a year for 3 marathon days along with an online campaign between sessions. Last session over MLK weekend, we started with only one of us having one left at 9th level 3 ticks in to 5 ticks which would level us. We do not use XP as well. Instead we are awarded ticks for combats of significance and this works very well. Our campaign is in Midnight but Clerics do exist and are very rare drawing powers from trapped entities when the world was severed. In our last session, our Paladin was trapped behind a wall of force and doomed. He had 2 at the time and elected to use one to bring the wall down so we could get to him. We went through others as well and one player did end up using 2 and died at the very end. It was depressing but he got shredded from a dragon. This is a good fix to resurrection and Big Baddies may have them as well. Fun stuff.

Zelda Themelin

First Post
I hate it, in-character. Sometimes I hate is as player too, but as often I think it creates interesting situations. My characters woudn't agree for most part to that.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I certainly don't relish the idea of despised enemies coming back from the dead to fight us all over again.

I think this is why a Resurrection Chance was in the game. On the one hand, I certainly don't want to start the game over just because my PC died. On the other, I don't want our enemies to come back from the dead over and over again either. I guess we could make it a resource like "Cat of 9 Lives" or something, but a high percentage chance on a d100 roll works too that declines after every return. I don't think Wish spells circumvented that loss, but I'm not sure.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads