Who Here is Getting Dragon Roots?

DM-Rocco

Explorer
tenkar said:
Actually, the 70 page count is surprisingly more then I expected.

Count me as on the fence. That being said, perhaps Rocco should consider a lower price for the PDF of the premier issue if nothing else... I'm not sure if I'd pay $8 an issue even with 70 pages of content for the PDF, but if I could sample the quality for $4 or $5 I'd have the knowledge to make that decision an educated one for myself. Print and / or PDF if I see what I like and how much I like it.

In any case I do wish you the best of luck with it. Somehow I missed out on any and all leading up to the release.
I am on the fence too, about lowering the pdf price that is. Dragon Roots first and foremost a print magazine. I would have never made it, if Dragon and Dungeon were still in print.

That said, I do realize that some people prefer pdfs and also that the shipping is more expensive than the magazine for overseas customers. Also, Dragon magazines sell for $4.95 on pdf and I have just as much content, if not more, as a full Dragon Magazine if you remove all the ads Dragon had.

Also, this is my first attempt at pricing a pdf, so I am a little new to the process.

So, I am still thinking it over, but my current thoughts in my head are $5.95 for a single pdf with a full year, 4 issue subscription, going for $20 or $5 an issue when you buy 4.

How does that sound? Is that more fair to the pdf lovers out there?

That gets it lower for people to try out the premiere issue and gets it down to $5 an issue if you like it.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Treebore said:
Looks like a good product and I love the cover, unfortunately the content looks like stuff someone who has been doing RPG's for 20+ years doesn't need to read yet again. If you do a "introductory" priced PDF for me to see otherwise with, let me know.

Still, I wish you excellent success with this.
Actually, I have 27 years experience as a DM and I know a thing or two about DMing and I too dislike reading stuff I already know.

I think though, you might be surprised.

The alignment article writen by Crowking is a fresh look at each alignment with a new section based on class alginments, like the troublesome paladin, and also how alignment effects cities.

The article, Working Your Way Up To First Level (revisited) is a take off from the original writen back in Dragon Issue #51. I couldn't get copyright permission to reprint the original because of the way TSR did contracts back then, but I was able to re-work the material into my own. It is rules for creating 0th level characters. Might not sound fun at first, but it is excellent for beginners and can be a new way to start the game for those who have been around for 20 years.

The Adventure in the back, A Day at the Fair, is designed for 0th level characters, but the tournaments are designed for characters of every levels, even Epic. It is a great place to try out new house rules and lay the foundation for any campaign. As a yearly event, your players, as mine have, will look forward to trying their hands at the tournaments each year and just might take feats to make themselves better in a given area they normally wouldn't.

What's Your Story? is a great article for creating character backgrounds. It also provides unorthodox rules for starting a character and provides characters with social standings. Really, this is for advanced palyers bored with traditional starts.

Personally I think you will be surprised and might enjoy the articles more than you think. However, as I have said before, I have learned a long time ago never to tell anyone from ENWorld how or what to think :D :p :lol:

Anyway, the 0th issue was created for beginnings and those just starting out, but it was writen so any PC or DM would gain value out of it. I hope that sways your thoughts.

Last edited:

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Rocco... thanks for the update... I'll be ordering the PDF when I get home and with any luck I'll be in for the print issues too. I don't love PDFs, but I do like their convenience and the ability to keep my current dead tree reading shelf manageable ;)

Treebore

First Post
DM-Rocco said:
Actually, I have 27 years experience as a DM and I know a thing or two about DMing and I too dislike reading stuff I already know.

I think though, you might be surprised.

The alignment article writen by Crowking is a fresh look at each alignment with a new section based on class alginments, like the troublesome paladin, and also how alignment effects cities.

The article, Working Your Way Up To First Level (revisited) is a take off from the original writen back in Dragon Issue #51. I couldn't get copyright permission to reprint the original because of the way TSR did contracts back then, but I was able to re-work the material into my own. It is rules for creating 0th level characters. Might not sound fun at first, but it is excellent for beginners and can be a new way to start the game for those who have been around for 20 years.

The Adventure in the back, A Day at the Fair, is designed for 0th level characters, but the tournaments are designed for characters of every levels, even Epic. It is a great place to try out new house rules and lay the foundation for any campaign. As a yearly event, your players, as mine have, will look forward to trying their hands at the tournaments each year and just might take feats to make themselves better in a given area they normally wouldn't.

What's Your Story? is a great article for creating character backgrounds. It also provides unorthodox rules for starting a character and provides characters with social standings. Really, this is for advanced palyers bored with traditional starts.

Personally I think you will be surprised and might enjoy the articles more than you think. However, as I have said before, I have learned a long time ago never to tell anyone from ENWorld how or what to think :D :p :lol:

Anyway, the 0th issue was created for beginnings and those just starting out, but it was writen so any PC or DM would gain value out of it. I hope that sways your thoughts.

On the PDF issue, at least consider giving the first one away at a cheap price to get us to look at what your doing. If you put just the first issue PDF at say $2.00, and advertise it as a special "take a look" introductory price, and say the rest will be $4.95 or whatever price, then your good to go.

As for me, I was an avid reader of Dragon and Dungeon magazines for most of my time playing RPG's. So I have seen these topics addressed several times by different authors for each edition of the game. Including 0 level rules, which Goodman games even addressed for 3E (DCC 35).

So that is why issue 0 doesn't intrigue me enough. The only thing that intrigues me is the 0 level adventure. Adventures always intrigue me, because just one new twist or idea makes it worth reading to me.

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
Just placed my order today. I'm looking forword to actually having a print magazine. I hope this one is a success. :)

I too miss Gaming Frontiers. I think I got 2 issues of that one. :(

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Treebore said:
On the PDF issue, at least consider giving the first one away at a cheap price to get us to look at what your doing. If you put just the first issue PDF at say $2.00, and advertise it as a special "take a look" introductory price, and say the rest will be $4.95 or whatever price, then your good to go.

As for me, I was an avid reader of Dragon and Dungeon magazines for most of my time playing RPG's. So I have seen these topics addressed several times by different authors for each edition of the game. Including 0 level rules, which Goodman games even addressed for 3E (DCC 35).

So that is why issue 0 doesn't intrigue me enough. The only thing that intrigues me is the 0 level adventure. Adventures always intrigue me, because just one new twist or idea makes it worth reading to me.
hah, now you have to buy it, I have an adventure, and it takes up about 30 pages. That should give you plenty of ideas. :) ;) :cool:

One of the main problems is that I didn't really plan on the fact that I was going to sell pdfs. I planned on print, because that is what I love. PDF was an after thought.

I know, as much as I love print, there are people out there that love pdfs. So, I want to sell pdfs for them and the people over seas. Now here is the tricky part. I have a limit way of providing pdfs for people to download. It costs me money to send pdfs to people and I am eating most of that cost up front counting on at least a certain number of people to opt for download or else I lose money.

I am one man, not a large company, I can't afford to just let everything go for $2, sorry.

Yes, I want everyone to read it, but I have to at least break even while doing so. Actually, I did have some hard costs going into it, so really I need to do more than break even.

I am trying to get ahold of the folks at enworld and Paizo to see if I can have them host it for download. If they don't charge to much, I think that will help reduce my pdf distribution costs. Maybe I might then be able to lower the cost then.

I am lowering the cost on my website for downloads of the pdf to $4.95 for the premiere issue to help people who want to review it and i wil address pdf subscriptions starting with issue #1 later.

I didn't think $8 was that much, but if the Dragon magazine had about the same content and they go for $4.95, I guess that is a good gauge to go by, for starters.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Alaric_Prympax said:
Just placed my order today. I'm looking forword to actually having a print magazine. I hope this one is a success. :)

I too miss Gaming Frontiers. I think I got 2 issues of that one. :(
I too hope for success :) ;) :cool:

I, personally, have enough material for about 10 issues, so I am here to stay. It was a lot of hard work, more than I thought it would be. Now that I got through a lot of red tape, I think things are going to happen quicker and I am having a blast writing and creating.

I don't plan on going anywhere. :) ;) :cool:

tadk

Explorer
I am

Raven Crowking said:
I just heard that Dragon Roots #0 was ready to ship, and I was wondering who was planning on getting it. I've got an alignment article in the issue (that I understand required WotC approval to print, as it references 1e!), and I'm hoping that there will be some lively discussion on the topic after the issue mails out.

RC

I plan to pick it up in a few days

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Just ordered a PDF of issue 0.

Thanks Rocco for adjusting the PDF pricing for those of us that want to sample before diving in with both feet ;)

Remove ads