Who is Ashardalon?

Dragonwriter

First Post
What does it say in Dragon Magic about him as a vestige?

This, pretty much:

I know he is a very powerful red dragon.

I know his tongue is a planar touchstone, a volcano in one of the planes.

I know he ruled part of the Prime Material once, that he fought the druidic Church of the Elements but had his heart destroyed by their leader, the druid Dydd.

I know he used a powerful balor, Ammet, as a replacement heart.

I know he invaded the Bastion of Unborn Souls in order to achieve immortality.

The Vestige only retold the story of Ashardalon.

As for Magic of Incarnum, the Bastion of Souls was mentioned as a Planar Touchstone, but that's all.

Aegeri

First Post
He has a write up in the 4E Draconomicon as well as stats. He's actually pretty good for his stats considering the time he was published.

Though apart from the SLAs, I feel the half-fiend template doesn't really merit a +3cr increase to the red dragon, since many of its benefits are made redundant. That and you want his special abilities to emphasis his dragon powers (and hurling horrid wilting just doesn't fit).
On the other hand, it changes his type from dragon to outsider, which probably will screw some of the party's preparations.

It screwed the adventure design for certain, since the +5 especially-useful-against-dragons sword found just before the encounter with Ashardalon is worth jack s:):)t (on the other hand, it will help against Ammet, but I'm pretty certain that is not what was intended). In fact, the whole module has numerous design mistakes that goes directly against the 3.0 rules.
Ah, WotC adventure design. :)

Runestar

First Post
How would you even know the sword is a dragon-slaying sword? And maybe that's exactly why it was found in the hoard, because Asharldalon knows it is not that useful against him. :p

Remove ads