• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who is from or based in Continental Europe?

ThoughtfulOwl

First Post
Meadred said:
Interestingly enough, in Sweden we don't do this when it comes to Latin names, so here it is Marcus Aurelius. However, we sometimes "swedify" non-Latin foreign names, so king Charles I of England is known as Karl I, and Louis XIII is known as Ludvig XIII.

We italianize most old, common names; I can attest that it was quite a surprise when I discovered that the well known Cartesio was really named Descartes. We don't twist modern names, however, probably because television allows us to learn the right spelling firsthand; there is only one odd exception: the names of european royalty. :uhoh:

But now back to the original topic. :)

Henrix

Explorer
ThoughtfulOwl said:
We italianize most old, common names; I can attest that it was quite a surprise when I discovered that the well known Cartesio was really named Descartes.
Well, that is a modernization of the name he used when writing in latin, Cartesius. It gets even more confusing when the names are arabic in origin, like Avicenna = Ibn Sina, or Averroes = Ibn Rusd.

Thalantor

First Post
I live in The Hague, Holland. I DM one game once in two weeks for about 12 hours at a time and play in two others every other week besides that.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Perun said:
Dalmatia, a coastal region of Croatia. Dogs with spots are our invention ;)

Born and bred in Split,

This city is known for its female residents, or at least that is how I heard of it...small world after all

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
ThoughtfulOwl said:
We italianize most old, common names; I can attest that it was quite a surprise when I discovered that the well known Cartesio was really named Descartes.
Descartes walks into a bar. The barkeeper asks him if we wants a drink. Descartes replies, "I think not" and promptly disappears.

Perun

Mushroom
TerraDave said:
This city is known for its female residents, or at least that is how I heard of it...small world after all

Yes, women, and sports. Split has a reputation for both.

Regarding names, we "croatise" most of the historical names (Marcus Aurelius is Marko Aurelije, for example), and some of the royalty names (particularly those of the Habsburg family, so for example Otto von Habsburg is known as Oton Habsburški).

Remove ads