• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who is Rao, what are his stats and what domains and porfolios does he have?

DM-Rocco

Explorer
I was looking for some paladin stuff and I ran across an article for Grey Hawk paladins in issue of Dragon #306. It mentions a God named Rao and his paladins powers, but I can't find any further information about him. Is there more out there? Does he go by a different name?

Zurai

First Post
According to Crystal Keep, he's in Complete Divine on page 123. LG God of Peace, Reason, and Serenity. Domains: Charity, Chastity, Community, Law, Good, Knowledge, Purification, Temperance.

Christian

Explorer
Living Greyhawk Gazetteer lists him as a Greater God of Peace, Reason, and Serenity, with Domains of Law, Good, and Knowledge and favored weapon light mace. "His clerics ... prefer peaceful means over violence, but are not above using force when their arguments are ignored or the bastions of reason are threatened."

Complete Divine has an abbreviated but consistent description, adding a note about their preference for violence in dealing with unreasoning undead. :] The domains listed there include the ones above, plus the Community and Purification domains from that book.

Bad Paper

First Post
I was under the impression that Rao is essentially a pacifist, and that his clerics would be noncombatants. I never considered him really good material for an adventurer's god. If I were going to make a paladin of him, I'd be sure to make him a demon-killer, given the history of the Crook of Rao.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads