• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who is the quintessential D&D artist?

Name the Quintessential D&D Artist, and his two main sidekicks.

• Greg Bell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tracy Lesch

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Dave Sutherland

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Erol Otus

Votes: 36 36.7%
  • Dave Trampier

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Darlene

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Jeff Dee

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Jeff Easley

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • Larry Elmore

Votes: 62 63.3%
  • Clyde Caldwell

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • Keith Parkinson

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • Daniel Horne

• Fred Fields

• Brom

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Tony DiTerlizzi

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • Robh Ruppel

• Jennell Jaquays

• Tony Szczudlo

• Todd Lockwood

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Sam Wood

• Arnie Swekel

• Glenn Angus

• Wayne Reynolds

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Ralph Horsley

• Raymond Swanland

• Tyler Jacobson

• Michael Komarck

• Jason Rainville

• Other

Votes: 6 6.1%

If you watch the Eye of the Beholder documentary, all the other TSR house artists of the time praise Parkinson as being the best, the most technically accomplished of them all.

If I had a 4th vote, would vote Parkinson... He did the mounted Tuigan warrior on the Forgotten Realms grey box cover, and Lord Soth's charge in Dragonlance. The king of the hyperrealists in 2nd ed.

innerdude

Legend
I deliberately did not put Lord Soth's charge as the sample for Parkinson. It's unfair for the other artists. :)

Lord Soth's Charge is an unassailably great piece of artwork. It's the kind of art that even someone almost completely untrained in art techniques---like myself---can recognize as being "great," even if we can't describe why off the top of our heads.

BronzeDragon

Explorer
Elmore running away with it so far.

lf

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I took the time to remind myself what kind of art all those folks did, and I narrowed my vote down to Dave Trampier, Jeff Easley, and Jason Rainville. Apparently I'm a fan of 1st edition and 5th edition art, and especially disliked the 4th edition art.
To elaborate on one of my picks, Dave Trampier.

This lizardfolk piece is still the bee's knees AFAIC.
DND-Trampier03.jpg

Few if any D&D covers are as iconic as this:
DND-Trampier01.jpg

He did so many Monster Manual illustrations, and they're all so good - and weird.
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.08.35 AM.png
dYubCiv.jpg

And, I mean:
b8c2982d67158c5226dfe695701b6f8e.jpg

Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I love a lot of the old school artists, and Elmore actually isn't my favorite, but he is the artist that I think of first when I think of the D&D I grew up with. Something about the realism in his stuff really hit home with me at the time.

My personal favorites are Otus and Trampier, but I voted for Easley and Elmore because I feel like they have, more than anybody else, defined the look of D&D, to the point that 35 years later, D&D art seems to bear indelible influence from them.

Remove ads