• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who is this person, and why do they not know what a gish is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
VirgilCaine said:
As I said above:
It's "amazing" how easy it is not to know who someone is if they never sign their name or state who they are, which I don't believe I've ever seen on the front page.

the main forum page has this at the top of the forum menu (edit - even the top of this page... i just never realized):

EN World - Morrus' D&D / 4th Edition / d20 News

course, to tell the truth, i don't think I've ever consciously bothered to look for that before... and I doubt many others have either. it's not something you'll find if you generally weren't already aware of it...

kinda like the word "gish" for me... I wasn't conscious of it, haven't been looking for it,and have no recall of seeing it on these boards until the 4e post on it... might have to do with me rarely visiting the rules forums which is where I would assume its use is/was more common then elsewhere

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
VirgilCaine said:
It's not like it's some brand-new usage of the word. I could swear I've heard it used for, oh, two years now at least. That's a long time on the Internet.

It is a long time, but the internet is a very, very big place, and the term is only used in one small corner. That's the nature of jargon.

I never imagined my post would bring out such vitriol against the term!

And man, some of you guys are really proud of being out of touch on this particular issue!

Um, dude? That vitriol comes up pretty much every time the word gets used outside the Rules forum around here. Given your stance, I'm a little surprised you are unaware of that.

Clearly, there is enough ignorance to go around. Perhaps we should all stop adding insult to it, and let the whole thing drop?

Last edited:

orsal

LEW Judge
See, I always thought the word for a fighter/magic-user was "elf".

Can you tell which edition I got my D&D start with?

"Gish", on the other hand, to me means this man, or perhaps his wife. I know them moderately well -- became friends when I was living near them a few years ago -- and I'd be very surprised if either of them ever played D&D.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
tenkar said:
This hasn't been Eric Noah's website for a number of years...
Five or more, by my count.

In any case, it's been explained and Virgil doesn't need to be pig-piled. I'm closing the thread. VirgilCaine, if you want it reopened for some reason, just drop me an email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads