• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who is Torog?

Snoweel

First Post
I just read a story about a bloke who served as a UN peacekeeper in the Congo back in the 60's.

One day his section caught some rebels raping and torturing a young nun. That was nothing compared to what they'd done to the old nun and the old bloke who worked there with them.

Certainly, being creative and being twisted are not mutually exclusive.

I guess worshippers of Torog could be some truly sick freaks.

I guess worshippers of Torog could be some truly sick freaks.

Well, looking more closely at the god's entry in the DMG
DMG said:
He
teaches his worshipers to:
✦ Seek out and revere the deep places beneath the
earth.
✦ Delight in the giving of pain, and consider pain you
receive as homage to Torog.
✦ Bind tightly what is in your charge, and restrain
those who wander free.

In those last two with the pain you receive and binding tightly we've got strong hints at masochism and bondage. I wonder if leather hoods or masks are popular with Torog cultists?

Torog cultists don't just kill, they kidnap you and then torture and degrade you as long as they can for no reason other than the enjoyment of that torture. Carried away bound and gagged in to the endless caves it's conceivable one might stay their victim for years or even decades.

The_Gneech

Explorer
Torog is the god of the bottomless pit. Sacrifices are cast into unwholesome abysses in the deep earth.

Torog is the great maggot, a dhole god, a massive worm that gnaws at the roots of the world like Nidhogg.

Torog is the deity of cursed treasures, luring seekers into trapped vaults in the depth of the earth, guarded by amorphous sardonic avatars.

Torog is the great reeking toad-lizard worshiped by Troglodytes and toad-things.

Torog whispers into the dreams of those men of sadistic nature and subterranean habitat.

Torog is a little purple bird, chirping in a meadow.

Torog is a chaplet of pretty flowers, which smell bad.

Are you sure your circuits are registering correctly? Your ears are green.

-The Gneech :cool:

Nebulous

Legend
Nope, in that module, Torog was competing with Baphomet for the worship of a group of minotaurs. Torog is a god, not a demon lord; he's the god of the Underdark, jailers, and torturers.

In Thunderspire, i made him into a Far Realm entity. Over the past 1000 years, since the fall of Saruun Khel, Baphomet and Torog worshipers were all but extinct. But then troglodytes starting worshipping Torog again, his power began to grow, and now mention of his name - Torog - other than just saying "The King Who Crawls" causes cockroaches and centipdes to sometimes crawl over the speaker.

LostSoul

Adventurer
That Underdark book sounds cool.

In my game any dungeon becomes corrupt due to Torog's influence if it's not maintained. A tower, a tomb beneath a monestary, a cistern beneath a ruined city, a mad wizard's lab - all these will succumb to his influence once they are abandoned. Pools turn into oozes, cracks open up and creatures from the underdark move in, etc. Generally speaking the dungeon takes on a life of its own.

I got that idea from someone here, I can't remember who.

Anyways, I just had an idea. The gods joined together to chain Tharizdun, right? Torog was ultimately corrupted by that act. Torog watches the Gate and holds the Key.

Remove ads