• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who is your favorite cover artist currently working?

Longtooth Studios

First Post
As I scroll down the list and research each one, my mind is swimming with the possibilities.

As a designer and student of the arts, I have always been envious of the talent apparent in these works.

This project has already proven to be a very inspiring experience. Its also great to get to communicate with customers more intimately. I forsee the trend becoming more popular.

Verdande

First Post
Not a big fan of Todd Lockwood or Wayne Reynolds, in direct contrast to the great majority of people here, it seems. Mr. Reynolds' art is horrible, simply horrible. Not to my taste at all. Extremely, extremely hit-or-miss: for every piece with potential, there are four or five more composed of dreck.

I'd like to second whoever said Mr. Mullen- that man is spectacular, evocative, and always awesome. Best fantasy artist working today, from what I've seen.

EDIT: Holy crap, somebody likes Micheal Kormarck? I wasn't aware that washed-out photoshopping was popular these days.

Last edited:

JoeGKushner

First Post
Depends on what you're going for.

For example, Andy Hopp isn't necessarily my favorite artist, but I found the whole Wanderer's Guild monster books very well done thanks to his quirky style.

William Oconnor on the other hand, gets a big thumbs up from me, as does Wayne England. Some of Jason Engle's stuff is very hit or miss for me. Michael Phillippi on the other hand, is almost always a hit for me.

Dragonbait

Explorer
Wayne Reynolds for style, character and monster design, flow of action (I'd be curious to see some of his art that is not full of COOL ACTION!).

Michael Komarck.

Tony DiTerlizzi for his work on Planescape and his wonderful whimsical art.

William O'Connor. I often find that his(?) pencil work is better than the final paint product, but that's just me.

I was going to say whomever painted the Caves of Chaos artwork from PHB 2, but it turns out that the artist was Michael Komarck. So, yeah.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Larry Elmore is brilliant. Hands down my all time fantasy favorite.

And though I don't think of him as a "cover artist", the comic book style of Jeff Dee's work made a lasting impression. He had a black n' white ink drawing in the original Expert book, I think it was, of a human adventurer crouching down talking to some halflings. THAT was what cinched my image of a halfling for all time...before I'd ever heard of or seen a rendition of a "hobbit." Loved his stuff growing up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads