• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who owns SPI games?

kenobi65

First Post
I had a copy of "War of the Ring", which we tried to play exactly once, and gave up. Dang, that thing was massive.

I think I also had a baseball simulation game (a la Strat-o-Matic) that SPI did in the late 70s or early 80s.

kenobi65 said:
I had a copy of "War of the Ring", which we tried to play exactly once, and gave up. Dang, that thing was massive.

We played that twice. Both times the Fellowship player waltzed Frodo unmolested into the heart of Sauron's demesne and plopped the ring into the lava.

After that we played it a couple of times as a straight wargame, but it was pretty 'meh'. Neat maps and counters, though.

Glyfair

Explorer
WayneLigon said:
it used bits and peices of every other RPG around at the time.
It did, but some things I don't remember seeing before.

One thing that does stand out about it is the organization. It's written as a wargame, using the same format SPI used for their wargames. Each section had headings and you'd see references to [10.1.12.A] or such. In some ways it was good, but overall was considered a weakness.

kenobi65

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
After that we played it a couple of times as a straight wargame, but it was pretty 'meh'. Neat maps and counters, though.

Oh, yes. Physically, it was a gorgeous game. I think I still have it here someplace...

Rothe

First Post
wsclark said:
I know that Decision Games has republished a number of old SPI games over the years and has been publishing S&T since 1988. They have the rights to quite a few of them, but I do not know if the ones you are looking for are among them.

You sir are like unto a god for finding that site. (Admittedly my google-fu is weak) That website is going to make my holidays very bright indeed.

Glyfair

Explorer
WSmith said:
Low and behold it came today! I was pleasantly surprised to see a GM screen in the box along with the starter adventure and the Maps of Alusia book.

I'll note that floating around somewhere on the net is supposed to be the text of the unreleased Arcane Wisdom supplement. Parts of it appeared in TSR's D&D/DQ adventure (available here), but not everything.

Here is a list of everything for the game.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
kenobi65 said:

Always wanted it, never got it.

I remember people reporting a 'problem' at the time in that fights between major characters were a bit like bad hong-kong movies. Aragorn is faced by the nine ringwraiths who line up and attack him one at a time, something like that :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads