• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Who plans to publish 4e stuff? I do!

What are your 4e writing / publishing plans?

• Publish in hardcover

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Publish in softcover

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Publish in PDF only

Votes: 35 47.3%
  • Publish free on the web only

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • Write a 4e setting

Votes: 35 47.3%
  • Write a monster book

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Write a magic item book

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Write an adventure module

Votes: 40 54.1%
  • Write a new races / classes book

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Write a new powers / spells book

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Write a 4e non-fantasy RPG

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • Revamp previously published 3e stuff to 4e

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • Publish it myself

Votes: 32 43.2%
  • Sell it to a publishing company

Votes: 21 28.4%

Spinachcat

First Post
I am excited about the GSL announcement. I was going to publish a 3.x setting book back in 2002, but I never grokked to 3e. The match of my setting to that system did not work for me and if it doesn't work for the writer, it sure ain't gonna work for the reader. However, what I have seen so far with 4e makes me want to release a D&D setting book. Time to dust off them notes!

So how many of you are chomping at the bit to publish your own 4e stuff?

Bayonet_Chris

First Post
Publishing

Currently I'm planning on running the first two adventures I plan to publish at Origins this year. We'll see how that goes, considering they can't actually be published until well after that.

Nine Hands

Explorer
I'd love to write some stuff for 4th Edition but I have a feeling the market is going to explode once anyone can use the GSL. I'll look into it later in the year I think.

Cmarco

First Post
I am currently working on a 200+ page campaign guide for my home game. I would love to see it published as a full-blown 4e setting (we've been running campaigns in this setting since 2e, but I just want to codify it). I have every confidence that it would be a great published setting, but that's probably a long way off

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I have a setting I've been working on for 15 years. I had a back-up failure that resulted in a loss of all of the information I'd worked on.

But it was never serious anyway. And with 4e coming, I thought it would be a good time to revamp and redo the whole setting from scratch anyway.

The pipe-dream is, of course, to publish it. I've got a rough timeline of about 18 months and I reckon if I'm not ready to publish by then, I never will be.

I guess we'll see.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'll just take the mercenary approach, thankyouverymuch. And if no one's buying, I can always put my stuff up on a webspace somewhere and do some sort of bizarre shameless self-promotion. ;)

Pinotage

Explorer
I'm quite surprised by the number of replies for publishing a setting. Particularly if you intend to sell it.

I think publishing settings has got to be the hardest thing to sell, and the hardest thing to gain from. Getting a setting right, publishing it with art, etc. and getting it to look right is very difficult. There are a lot of settings out there, but I can bet that only a tiny fraction of them actually sell well. I'm not doubting the collective writing abilities of ENWorld members, but settings are a pain to publish or to get published. I strongly doubt that unless you have something truly original, with fantastic production value, you'll be able to make it as a publisher selling a 200 page setting.

Pinotage

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads