• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who prefers to DM?

Who prefers to DM?

• I do!

Votes: 104 66.7%
  • Not me

Votes: 30 19.2%
  • Don't know, never tried

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Don't know, I always DM

Votes: 21 13.5%

Cutty Sark

First Post
I was shocked when, on another thread, I saw two people within 10 posts of each other say that they really prefered to DM. I've always been willing to DM, but for the past 3 years or so I've played a character in one campaign, and I miss it. I'd really prefer to play, because I don't have a chance to really develop an NPC like I can with a PC. What does everybody else think?

Crothian

First Post
I mostly DMed for 15 years. At that time I'd say that it was fun, but I didn't appriciate it as much. Only in the past 5 or so years have I really been able to dive into playing characters and while I enjoy it, I really find myself perfering DMing. I don't think I want to do it exclusivel;y for the next 15 years, but I'm really happy to be going back behind the screen for my new game.

Hygric

First Post
The poll needs one more option:

I like both DMing and Playing!

If I haven't run a game in a while, I get an urge to DM, if I haven't played, I get that urge instead.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I have DM'd exclusively for a very long stretch, and I don't think I'd be able to do without. But I'm also lucky because now I am also a player in two campaigns run by two players in my campaign. It helps me be a better DM, I think, it allows me to see my players' other talents, and I have a lot of fun.

Terraism

Explorer
I prefer DMing, with one caveat - times like recently, when I bounce from idea to idea, with the players not warming up to a one of them... then I wish I had a solid DM to let me rest on my laurels and be lazy for a while. :)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I prefer DMing, but by playing I can show my players how to play the game really well.

Okay, that was slightly immodest... but I've got a group of mostly new players, and I've been at it most of my life. (20 years of 30 is most, surely? ;))

Cheers!

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
I was one of these two people on that other thread, I guess. :p

So yeah, I prefer GMing. *shrug* In part that's quite possibly because I've so far never gamed with another GM that was a good GM by my standards.
It's also because playing doesn't hold too much appeal to me; I like to tell stories - on the other hand, I dislike having to strive for ever more power.
As things stand now, games with somewhat powerful - but not too powerful - characters (say, in D&D, 6th-12th level) that are nearly static in level advancement (and don't go much higher than 12th level in any case) are the only ones I would even consider playing... I'd still rather GM, though - which suits my players just fine, since none of them really like to GM. :p

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I prefer to Dm, but only because no one will let me play a Slitheren! :D Or at least a Vertigen. In any case I'd play more, if someone would kindly let me play as a character.

Emiricol

I'm always wishing I could play again, but on those rare occasions when my players let me give up the DM's chair, I always find myself missing it.

On the other hand, being a player once in a while is a great way to get re-energized for more DMing. New ideas, refresher on the PC experience, etc.

Remove ads