• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who still plays Basic D&D?

Voadam

Legend
Well I use material from Basic.

For instance I recently got the ESD of the B1 to whatever supermodule and when I get a lot of free time I will read it and might convert it.

In one of my last games I had an archmage with a spellbook of all the basic MU spells and used them straight in the game (i.e. detect magic was a first level spell but instantly identified things as magical).

I really want the rules cyclopedia.
The basic rules and classes were simple and clean for the most part, and I want to see their weapon mastery rules and see if they can be converted to 3e.

WSmith

First Post
I know a guy back home in NJ that does. As a player it doesn't really matter to me. As a DM, I personally would love to run a basic game. There a re a couple of things I would change, though

AC goes up not down

Cyclic initiative

Spot/hide/listen/hear noise/search would need to be implimented somehow.

Other than that, I think the basic D&D, either in its boxed version or the Rules Cyclopedia, is a very fun, simple, and playable game. I don't currently play with it, but would love to.

Voadam said:
I really want the rules cyclopedia.

It shouldn't be too hard to find. They pop up on ebay regularly, and are relatively inexpensive. As a matter of fact, I just saw a copy in the local gamestore last month for $10-12.

The basic rules and classes were simple and clean for the most part...

Stop on by HERE and let me know what you think ;)

...and I want to see their weapon mastery rules and see if they can be converted to 3e.

They are the one thing about Basic D&D that I really didn't like. As a matter of fact, I should be posting my own variant weapon tables shortly (the ones currently on my site will be going the way of the dodo--though I will be keeping one or two of the concepts).

WSmith said:
...a couple of things I would change, though

AC goes up not down

Just like 4th edition Gamma World ;)

Seriously, this is easy to implement--I even used it a while, but went back to THACO for the sake of "feel".

Cyclic initiative

Again, this would be easy to do.

BTW, I am keeping my initiative rules (just ignore the weapon tables until I get the new ones posted).

Spot/hide/listen/hear noise/search would need to be implimented somehow.

I at one time had a mechanic for assigning these skills to everyone; and while it worked fine, it strayed too far from the "feel" of Basic D&D for me.

Now, for normal situations, I simply use ability checks. I also provide the option for any player to add a few "thief" skills to his character when creating his class.

Both of these variants can be found here.

Other than that, I think the basic D&D, either in its boxed version or the Rules Cyclopedia, is a very fun, simple, and playable game. I don't currently play with it, but would love to.

Here's hoping you find some others near you that feel the same :)

Last edited:

Geoffrey

First Post
I play the 1974-1976 D&D rules. I started with AD&D in 1980, but a few years back I switched to original D&D. I like the flexibility and the simplicity of the rules. I also employ a lot of house rules, which is easier in D&D than in AD&D.

Regdar

First Post
Bah, hell no

Bah, by all that is holy Regdar would never soil Regdars hands with that material.

No, Regdar does not play basic. Regdar does not care for the basic aspect, Race=Class and various other issues. You may like it, Regdar does not.

Geoffrey

First Post
In my D&D games, I allow PCs to be only human. Plus, we operate with just the original three classes: fighters, magic-users, and clerics. That, with our imaginations, is all we want or need.

Walter_J

First Post
Man, I'd love to get a game of basic going again. The simplicity alone (not to mention 5 minute character generation) would be worth it. Tunnels and Trolls was fun like that too, but rolling all those six siders just got tiresome...literally : )

Remove ads