• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who wants to make a character? d20 point-buy variant here

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
As someone who made his own point-buy d20 system, I'm interested in it. Does this look right?

Path: Mystic

Attributes (50 XP)
Strength: 14 (-6)
Dexterity: 16 (-14)
Constitution: 14 (-6)
Intelligence: 13 (-4)
Wisdom: 14 (-6)
Charisma: 16 (-14)

Skills (10 XP, + 10 Wildcard XP)
Class Skills: Arcana, History, Nature, Necromancy, Perception, Spellcasting, Summoning
Skills: Perception 4 (-4), Sneak 4 (-8), , Unarmed 4 (-8)

Feats (30 XP)
Armor Proficiencies: None
Feat Chains: Crusader, Eremite
Feats: Detect Evil (-5), Meditation (-5), Aura of Courage (-10), Deflect Arrows (-10)

Last edited:

sorites

First Post
Looks good! It looks like you were going for an evil-ish monk type character? Can I ask, what did you think of the process? How about the completed character? I know it's kind of hard to imagine without having more details, but do you think he'd be fun to play?

The only thing I noticed about your character that I hadn't actually intended was you took one "good" feat and one "evil" one. You chose Detect Good (which is an evil ability) and Aura of Courage (which is a good ability). I was more intending that you'd either pick Crusader (which gives the good side) or Heretic (which gives the evil side).

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Looks good! It looks like you were going for an evil-ish monk type character? Can I ask, what did you think of the process? How about the completed character? I know it's kind of hard to imagine without having more details, but do you think he'd be fun to play?

The only thing I noticed about your character that I hadn't actually intended was you took one "good" feat and one "evil" one. You chose Detect Good (which is an evil ability) and Aura of Courage (which is a good ability). I was more intending that you'd either pick Crusader (which gives the good side) or Heretic (which gives the evil side).

To be honest, I meant to pick Detect Evil, but I guess my mind just saw "Good" and I associated things incorrectly! I was going for a paladin-monk feel, so Detect Evil is certainly what I wanted!

But, the process seemed easy to me. I definitely think he'd be fun to play. And I guess that since I'm wondering how advancement works, what things like "Meditation" do, and so on indicates that the game grabbed me at least somewhat :)

But, for my two cents, I probably spent 20 minutes making the character, including reading the process. So, I think that's really fast for character generation, all things considered. If you're looking for a streamlined character generation process for a point-buy system, I'd say that you've found it. That time would have increased by another 20 or so minutes if I were to skim over all the feat trees (skipping stuff that didn't superficially look interesting), so there's that, but once someone gets used to it, I'd say character generation would be very streamlined, which is hard to do with point-buy. So, you have my compliments on that front.

Something I wanted to ask about, too. Both of the abilities I chose were from the Mystic tree, but both monk and paladin archetypes are listed under the Warrior path. Should I have picked the Warrior path and bought into Mystic as a secondary path to grab both of them? Are things like attack bonus, AC, or saves tied into paths? As you can tell, I have questions about the system, which is probably a good sign.

Anything else I can answer or help with?

sorites

First Post
But, the process seemed easy to me. I definitely think he'd be fun to play. And I guess that since I'm wondering how advancement works, what things like "Meditation" do, and so on indicates that the game grabbed me at least somewhat :)

I'm glad you liked it. As for Meditation, I have this idea of handling spellcasting, summoning, and the use of certain feats through a Fatigue system. Once you hit your max Fatigue, you need to rest to recuperate. Meditation allows a character to recover more efficiently than someone without it. Fatigue is not generated automatically. It is more that there is a potential for Fatigue each time certain abilities are used. This is from a die roll which can be mitigated by a natural Resist, the result being that sometimes you take Fatigue and sometimes you don't.

In terms of character advancement, my plan is to reward player participation each session with a number of XP probably ranging from 3-5. Players are allowed to "level up" (i.e. spend their XP) every 4-5 sessions, so if you play once per week, you'll be spending XP about once a month. You'd have around 20 (give or take) to spend at a time.

Skills and abilities can only be increased once each per level up with skill ratings costing the next rank in XP and ability scores costing twice the next rank. So to go from Athletics 4 to 5 costs 5XP and to go from Strength 18 to 19 costs 38XP. [I haven't really crunched the math on advancement costs, so this is just my starting place. I have a suspicion that the costs for skills is too low, especially as I am thinking of making skills range from 1 to 10 with 11 or higher being possible but considered epic/godlike.]

Any XP you do not spend can be saved for later.

Feats use the same values as during character creation (5/10/15/20/25). (Again, maybe this is too low? I could see 10/20/30/40/50 possibly.)

Spells work very much like feats with regard to purchasing and prerequisites. Instead of spell levels, you purchase a feat, like Evocation, which makes a number of spell chains available for purchase. For example, [FORCE] is an Evocation spell chain that includes Magic Missile, Tiny Hut, Wall of Force, Mage's Sword, Forecage.

If you're looking for a streamlined character generation process for a point-buy system, I'd say that you've found it.

That's great to hear. Balance and logical progression are goals of this system as well. I think I might need to replace the "Improved" feat chain under Warrior with something else because that chain doesn't really reflect the concept of advancement that most of the other chains do. I'm not sure I'm happy with the Spellcasting chain either because it means you have to purchase Conjuration before you can get to Divination, etc. Spellcasting might have to be the exception to the rule and allow the player to purchase its feats in any order.

Something I wanted to ask about, too. Both of the abilities I chose were from the Mystic tree, but both monk and paladin archetypes are listed under the Warrior path. Should I have picked the Warrior path and bought into Mystic as a secondary path to grab both of them? Are things like attack bonus, AC, or saves tied into paths? As you can tell, I have questions about the system, which is probably a good sign.

Archetypes are basically class concepts. They are intended to guide the player in character creation and advancement by mapping out a possible path one could take to build a certain type of character. So to answer your question, no, you would not have wanted to buy into Warrior just for the archetype (because an archetype is not something you can buy). I didn't include the text in this document, but I have a section that describes archetypes in more detail.

There is no Base Attack Bonus in this game. Combat skills are used instead, and your class skills (based on your path) determine how easy it is to improve them.

Anything else I can answer or help with?

I'd be interested in hearing your reaction to anything else, especially what you think about the way the Spellcasting chain is laid out and how certain spell schools (Enchantment, Evocation, Transmutation, and Necromancy) will be unavailable to a starting character. Is that too limiting, do you think? That means, for example, that a starting character would never know Magic Missile. That spell would be reserved for more seasoned adventurers. See... I think I need to change that.

One other thing I've been wrestling with is the idea of limiting skill ratings to 10. So if you have a 10, you are among the best in the world. A skill of 6 makes you a professional. Since combat is tied to this and since the game is based on d20, this effectively means that my BaB will never go above 10 or 11 (technically, you could increase a skill above 10, but it's epic and expensive). Maybe sticking with 1-20 is best? If I did keep it as 1-10, obviously the most a character could ever naturally roll would be a 30, plus the appropriate ability bonus, so 35, 36.... The other concern would be that a player would hit skill 10 too quickly.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I'm glad you liked it. As for Meditation, I have this idea of handling spellcasting, summoning, and the use of certain feats through a Fatigue system. Once you hit your max Fatigue, you need to rest to recuperate. Meditation allows a character to recover more efficiently than someone without it. Fatigue is not generated automatically. It is more that there is a potential for Fatigue each time certain abilities are used. This is from a die roll which can be mitigated by a natural Resist, the result being that sometimes you take Fatigue and sometimes you don't.
I like the idea of a fatigue system. That's interesting, and a cool ability. I'm glad my theoretical character has it!

In terms of character advancement, my plan is to reward player participation each session with a number of XP probably ranging from 3-5. Players are allowed to "level up" (i.e. spend their XP) every 4-5 sessions, so if you play once per week, you'll be spending XP about once a month. You'd have around 20 (give or take) to spend at a time.

Skills and abilities can only be increased once each per level up with skill ratings costing the next rank in XP and ability scores costing twice the next rank. So to go from Athletics 4 to 5 costs 5XP and to go from Strength 18 to 19 costs 38XP. [I haven't really crunched the math on advancement costs, so this is just my starting place. I have a suspicion that the costs for skills is too low, especially as I am thinking of making skills range from 1 to 10 with 11 or higher being possible but considered epic/godlike.]

Any XP you do not spend can be saved for later.

Feats use the same values as during character creation (5/10/15/20/25). (Again, maybe this is too low? I could see 10/20/30/40/50 possibly.)

Spells work very much like feats with regard to purchasing and prerequisites. Instead of spell levels, you purchase a feat, like Evocation, which makes a number of spell chains available for purchase. For example, [FORCE] is an Evocation spell chain that includes Magic Missile, Tiny Hut, Wall of Force, Mage's Sword, Forecage.
First, I love the spell system. In my point-buy d20 RPG, I broke magic into 20 different categories. You can purchase different areas, including "Force" which would include telekinesis, force damage (like magic missile), creating objects made of force, etc. So, right on there!

As for feats, I think the prices look fine in increments of 5. That means you need to wait 5-6 sessions for your top feat in a chain, and that's a bit of time. To go from rank 2 in a chain to rank 5 would be 60 XP, which is 12-15 session (at 4-5 XP per session), which is 3½ ish months at 1 session per week. And that's if you don't purchase anything else.

Depending on how rare a 20 Ability is, spending 78 XP is quite a bit (and that's if you started with an 18). That's 16-20 sessions (at 4-5 XP per session), which is 4 ish months at 1 session per week. If someone started with a 20 from race and wanted to go to 22, it'd be 84 XP, which is 4 full months at 5 XP per session.

I do like your XP every session that you can spend, though. I do the same thing in my RPG.

That's great to hear. Balance and logical progression are goals of this system as well. I think I might need to replace the "Improved" feat chain under Warrior with something else because that chain doesn't really reflect the concept of advancement that most of the other chains do. I'm not sure I'm happy with the Spellcasting chain either because it means you have to purchase Conjuration before you can get to Divination, etc. Spellcasting might have to be the exception to the rule and allow the player to purchase its feats in any order.
Yeah. Maybe with spellcasting, it's one school*, then one additional school at each improvement, or something along those lines (rank 4 could be 2 schools, or something?).

*Schools available are A, B, C, X, Y, Z, and Etc.

Archetypes are basically class concepts. They are intended to guide the player in character creation and advancement by mapping out a possible path one could take to build a certain type of character. So to answer your question, no, you would not have wanted to buy into Warrior just for the archetype (because an archetype is not something you can buy). I didn't include the text in this document, but I have a section that describes archetypes in more detail.

There is no Base Attack Bonus in this game. Combat skills are used instead, and your class skills (based on your path) determine how easy it is to improve them.
Got it. Glad I did it right. To me, that means it's intuitive enough I got it right, even if I questioned it. Which is a good sign for the system. I thought that the weapon skill was related to attacking, but I didn't want to assume anything about it. I was along the right track, though, which also speaks to the intuitive nature of the system.

I'd be interested in hearing your reaction to anything else, especially what you think about the way the Spellcasting chain is laid out and how certain spell schools (Enchantment, Evocation, Transmutation, and Necromancy) will be unavailable to a starting character. Is that too limiting, do you think? That means, for example, that a starting character would never know Magic Missile. That spell would be reserved for more seasoned adventurers. See... I think I need to change that.
What do you think of my proposal above on spells?

One other thing I've been wrestling with is the idea of limiting skill ratings to 10. So if you have a 10, you are among the best in the world. A skill of 6 makes you a professional. Since combat is tied to this and since the game is based on d20, this effectively means that my BaB will never go above 10 or 11 (technically, you could increase a skill above 10, but it's epic and expensive). Maybe sticking with 1-20 is best? If I did keep it as 1-10, obviously the most a character could ever naturally roll would be a 30, plus the appropriate ability bonus, so 35, 36.... The other concern would be that a player would hit skill 10 too quickly.
If you have a leveling system as well, maybe tie max ranks in a skill into level?
Maybe you can bypass it by paying extra XP.
Maybe races have a higher skill cap (elves have Perception max skill rank capped at 1-2 higher than normal; dwarves have martial weapons max skill rank capped at 1-2 higher than normal; etc.).
Maybe if the skill is a class skill, the cap is 1 higher.

I'm not sure how you'd like to do it. I do like the idea of it being capped at 10 or 11. You could do 20, but I like randomness being prominent, as it allows PCs to try to do more things by hoping to roll high. Any thoughts I've sparked in you I can help with?

Last edited:

sorites

First Post
Depending on how rare a 20 Ability is, spending 78 XP is quite a bit (and that's if you started with an 18). That's 16-20 sessions (at 4-5 XP per session), which is 4 ish months at 1 session per week. If someone started with a 20 from race and wanted to go to 22, it'd be 84 XP, which is 4 full months at 5 XP per session.

Good point. I don't want players to be hoarding their XP and not spending it. Each time they level up, they should be improving their characters at least a little bit. Saving might be necessary, but it should not need to happen more than once before the wanted upgrade becomes affordable.

Yeah. Maybe with spellcasting, it's one school*, then one additional school at each improvement, or something along those lines (rank 4 could be 2 schools, or something?).

*Schools available are A, B, C, X, Y, Z, and Etc.

Yeah, this is probably the way to go. I had considered something like this to begin with but rejected it because it didn't conform to the model. But it's better, I think, because it lets the player have more control over creating the character.

If you have a leveling system as well, maybe tie max ranks in a skill into level?
Maybe you can bypass it by paying extra XP.
Maybe races have a higher skill cap (elves have Perception max skill rank capped at 1-2 higher than normal; dwarves have martial weapons max skill rank capped at 1-2 higher than normal; etc.).
Maybe if the skill is a class skill, the cap is 1 higher.

I'm not sure how you'd like to do it. I do like the idea of it being capped at 10 or 11. You could do 20, but I like randomness being prominent, as it allows PCs to try to do more things by hoping to roll high. Any thoughts I've sparked in you I can help with?

It's funny. When I began this project, the first things I wrote were "no classes, no levels, no hit points." I still don't have hit points, but classes are kinda there. And even though I've been referring to it as "leveling up" I have nothing tied to the level up process. Yet, I kinda like the idea of setting a skill cap based on level. That is a very d20 thing to have.

If that was true and there really are levels in the game, it would mean that a base 100XP character is level 1. So do you think I should adjust down the allowed skill rating purchasable at character creation? Right now you can buy skill rating 4 when you make your character. I could set the cap to level + 3, or like you said, class skills have a cap of level + 1, non-class skills have a cap of your level. Which would mean a Warrior could have Martial Weapons 2 at 1st level, but a Rogue or Mystic could only have Martial Weapons 1.

If I was to actually use a real level system, do you think it would need to be XP based? Like, every 100XP, you level up. I think it would. This would be instead of having a rough guideline as to when you can spend XP (i.e. every 4-5 sessions), but the GM having the authority to say, "OK, you finished raiding the castle. Now you can level up." Or maybe it's a combination of both? What about the player who just misses the mark with 95XP when his buddies are leveling?

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Sorry for the late reply. I had family in town from Texas, and I wanted to visit before they left tomorrow. Hopefully you'll get this later today.

Good point. I don't want players to be hoarding their XP and not spending it. Each time they level up, they should be improving their characters at least a little bit. Saving might be necessary, but it should not need to happen more than once before the wanted upgrade becomes affordable.
Yeah, that's my preferred model, too. In my game, people improve their characters basically every session, but it's not uncommon to see one player per week save his points for a more expensive ability. I agree with that model.

Yeah, this is probably the way to go. I had considered something like this to begin with but rejected it because it didn't conform to the model. But it's better, I think, because it lets the player have more control over creating the character.
Well, maybe you can change the "Improved" Warrior tree while you're at it. Instead of how it is now, maybe you given blanket bonuses to all of the maneuvers at once.
Rank 1: You get a +2 bonus to all the listed maneuvers.
Rank 2: None of the listed maneuvers provoke attacks of opportunity anymore.
Rank 3: You get an additional +2 bonus to all the listed maneuvers (+4 total).
Rank 4: If you successful use one of the listed maneuvers, you get a free attack on the enemy as well.
Rank 5: You get an additional +4 bonus to all the listed maneuvers (+8 total).

Or something along those lines.

It's funny. When I began this project, the first things I wrote were "no classes, no levels, no hit points." I still don't have hit points, but classes are kinda there. And even though I've been referring to it as "leveling up" I have nothing tied to the level up process. Yet, I kinda like the idea of setting a skill cap based on level. That is a very d20 thing to have.
Yep. Even though I got rid of classes in my game, I left levels. I really like the way it plays out, but it does feel different from a level-less game. I think it really helps scale for d20, though.

If that was true and there really are levels in the game, it would mean that a base 100XP character is level 1. So do you think I should adjust down the allowed skill rating purchasable at character creation? Right now you can buy skill rating 4 when you make your character. I could set the cap to level + 3, or like you said, class skills have a cap of level + 1, non-class skills have a cap of your level. Which would mean a Warrior could have Martial Weapons 2 at 1st level, but a Rogue or Mystic could only have Martial Weapons 1.
I like the cap being level +1 (it's what I use in my game), so I can see it being level +1 for all skills, or only for class skills (the rest are capped at level). I could go either way; it really depends on how fiddly you want it. The nice things about making it level +1 only for class skills is that it helps define the archetypes better (which, if that's what you're going for, is good). Since you made different archetype bases, rather than just went completely classes (no class skills, no path-only feat chains, etc.), I assume the archetypes are important to you.

Something you should consider is how high do you want the level system to go? Indefinitely? Level 10? Level 10 is a nice easy stopping point if you can get Level +1 as a skill cap, as that puts you at Epic for that skill (11 ranks). In fact, if you could only get Level +1 in your class skills, it means that a Warrior path character could become Epic in Martial Weapons, but nobody else could. Only a Mystic could become Epic in Spellcasting, and only a Rogue could become Epic in Disarm Trap. This seems pretty intuitive to me, which is probably a good thing.

If I was to actually use a real level system, do you think it would need to be XP based? Like, every 100XP, you level up. I think it would. This would be instead of having a rough guideline as to when you can spend XP (i.e. every 4-5 sessions), but the GM having the authority to say, "OK, you finished raiding the castle. Now you can level up." Or maybe it's a combination of both? What about the player who just misses the mark with 95XP when his buddies are leveling?
I think basing it on XP earned total is the way to go, yes. That is, again, what I do in my game. Maybe every 25 XP? That's 5-7 sessions at 4-5 XP each, which is just over 1 to nearly 2 months per level. If you play less often, it's even longer. So, a group that gets together every 2 weeks would take 2 to 3½ months to level, while a monthly group would be closer to 5 to 7 months (that is, without tweaking the XP track).

In my system, I base XP on two factors:
(1) How much danger was the party in?
(2) How much story was there?

I like this setup because it allows for a wide range of options when answering the questions. You can have political or social danger, or you can have physical danger. Story can vary from "we went to the castle" (very low) to "we saved the castle from an undead army" (very high). What I like about this is that it gives uniform XP to everyone. If anyone was in danger, everyone gets the benefit of it happening. If anyone progresses the story, everyone gets the benefit.

If you like the setup, maybe you can have a scale to both? Like, a scale of 1-3 on each, so that you can earn anywhere from 2-6 XP per session? That might be too variable, or on the low end for you. Just trying to kick ideas around so you don't have a situation where you've got 3 guys who hit level 3, and one guy is stuck at level 2.

If it takes 25 XP to level, and you're averaging 4 XP (you get a 2 on a scale of 1-3 for danger, and a 2 on a scale of 1-3 for story), it'll take a little bit to hit the next level, but not so far that players don't think about it. If they're more adventurous, they'll level faster (more story, more danger). If they're more cautious, it'll be a little slower (less story, less danger). This encourages proactive players, which may or may not be to your tastes.

If you think the players will be getting into life or death fights as part of the adventuring career every session, that's a guaranteed 3 XP. Then if you only expect moderate amounts of story, that's a guaranteed 2 XP. If that's the norm for your group, they'll average 5 XP per session. You should base the level up XP required depending on your norm. So, if you like 4-5 XP per session, how often should they level up in your mind? 25 XP is 5-7 sessions. 50 XP is 10-13 sessions. 100 XP is 20-25 sessions.

sorites

First Post
I've been futzing around with the rules this afternoon, and I'm not sure I want to base levels off of XP as strange as that might sound. Your idea about the Improved tree is interesting. I'll have to think about it.

Our discussion about skills and skill caps has got me thinking about Attack rolls and how they are resolved. I've been thinking for a while that I'd like Armor to act more like DR than traditional AC. And the defender's combat skill (if any) is used to calculate a defense score.

Something like this:

Attacker rolls d20 + combat skill + ability modifier + situational modifiers
Defense Score = 10 (base) + combat skill (if any) + ability modifier

So if you have a starting character with a Martial Weapons skill of 2 and a Strength bonus of 1, he'd roll d20 + 2 + 1. Versus his identical twin, he would need to hit a Defense Score of 10 + 2 + 1 = 13.

If you are hit by an attack, the attacker rolls damage, which is reduced by your armor value. If your chainmail gives 5 AC, and the attacker does 8 damage, then you've taken 3.

On a related note, I mentioned earlier that I have done away with hit points. Instead, there is a damage track which records your status from uninjured to dead. This track has 10 boxes. So if you want to think about it like you have 10 hit points, that's fine (just not exactly correct because different stages of damage result in penalties unlike classic hit points).

So if a longsword is allowed to do 1d8 damage, then it could severely wound someone who is not wearing armor. On the other hand, someone in plate mail might have nothing to fear from a longsword.

If I allow the Strength bonus to affect the damage roll, then against the leather armor wearer, a strong fighter wielding a longsword would be quite deadly. 1d8+4 against DR2 is quite powerful when you only have 10hp.

Maybe this is fine. As I read it, I'm not quite sure what I was worried about. An ogre or a dragon might have high armor values from their natural armor to help their survivability.

This kind of combat would probably be pretty quick and deadly. Gritty, maybe. But would it be fun? I read a WotC article a while back that talked about the "neener-neener" problem where you "hit" but then something (like DR) turns your success into failure. It's like when you're a kid. "Hey, I hit you!" "No you didn't -- neener-neener!"

This also means that a "weak" weapon would have no chance of hitting a character wearing heavy enough armor, except melee attacks with a high Strength. A dagger (d4) would not be able to hurt someone wearing chainmail (AC 5). In an earlier draft, I had written some rules that would allow for called shots to allow an attacker to bypass armor (and therefore the defender's DR).

Thoughts?

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I've been futzing around with the rules this afternoon, and I'm not sure I want to base levels off of XP as strange as that might sound. Your idea about the Improved tree is interesting. I'll have to think about it.
Alrighty :)

Attacker rolls d20 + combat skill + ability modifier + situational modifiers
Defense Score = 10 (base) + combat skill (if any) + ability modifier

So if you have a starting character with a Martial Weapons skill of 2 and a Strength bonus of 1, he'd roll d20 + 2 + 1. Versus his identical twin, he would need to hit a Defense Score of 10 + 2 + 1 = 13.
Similar how I use my game. I basically have an offensive attack roll opposed by the defenders attack. You effectively have the same thing, but have the static roll (you're assuming the defender always rolls a 10). So, I like that.

If you are hit by an attack, the attacker rolls damage, which is reduced by your armor value. If your chainmail gives 5 AC, and the attacker does 8 damage, then you've taken 3.
I also use armor as damage reduction in my game (though it gets a bonus against ranged attacks in my game). So, I like your implementation.

This also means that a "weak" weapon would have no chance of hitting a character wearing heavy enough armor, except melee attacks with a high Strength. A dagger (d4) would not be able to hurt someone wearing chainmail (AC 5). In an earlier draft, I had written some rules that would allow for called shots to allow an attacker to bypass armor (and therefore the defender's DR).

Thoughts?
I like gritty. I find it fun. So, it appeals to me (I made my game much grittier than D&D is). I'm also for someone with a less damaging weapons not damaging highly armored opponents unless they bypass the armor (via a called shot, or some other mechanic). I implemented these concepts into my game (including called shots to bypass damage reduction).

So, I like most of what you're written. People's tastes are going to vary, and I'm not sure how many like gritty games, to be honest. I really do. Your system looks simple, fast, and probably quick-paced, and fast combats probably means it's decided one way or the other faster (making it more swingy or gritty). I think it fits the feel of the game well, but I'm biased because I see similarities to my approach, even conceptually. You've done well to cater to my base tastes :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads