• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who wants to talk theory?

pawsplay

Hero
pemerton said:
I have played games (especially 2nd ed AD&D, also CoC and Pendragon) in which what counts as good play is ensuring that my portrayal of my PC matches the various descriptors on my character sheet. This is the logic of prescriptive alignment mechanics, of personality flaw mechanics, and so on.

I have also played games in which what counts as good play is making my PC do things that are interesting or relevant to the players at the table, and in which part of the skill of RPing is weaving a plausible or entertaining narrative around those choices that presents the PC as a coherent (if evolving) persona.

All that distinction requires is that the two games have a different theory of personality for the character. In either case, you are attempting a "painterly" approach to characterization within the socially established goals of the game.

These are (at least to me) different RPing experiences. One thing I like about the GNS lexicon is that gives me a handy vocabulary for capturing that difference.

Unforunately, I do not find it handy. Furthermore, when someone else uses it, I find it even less handy than I try to use it myself. The conclusion I have drawn is that some elements of the vocabulary are not good tools for describing RPGs, or at least some RPGs.

As to pawn stance: this has nothing to do with slaughtering innkeepers, which can easily be rationalised in author stance ("My guy is a psychopath" or, as you suggested, "That's just the kind of guy I am.") It's to do with whether or not one is roleplaying.

And what is role-playing? If you posit it is portraying a character in a role-playing game, the definition becomes circular.

How do you distinguish a tactical wargame or boardgame from an RPG in which all the play is in pawn stance?

Are the categories mutually exclusive? While some modern RPGs are definitely not wargames or boardgames, the original nucleus of the hobby was called "fantasy wargaming." Playing D&D as a kind of "board game" is not problematic, and may enjoyable to some participants... indeed, most experiments with a new gaming system take exactly this form!

I don't understand what you mean here. Are you talking about differing interpretations of the GM's narration, or differing presuppositions about what elements exist in the gameworld? If so, that seems to have little to do with actor stance.

Let's say I "act" that go upstairs, whereas the GM "acts" that the innkeeper attempts to chase me outside. If the GM does not believe the building has a second story, we go off the map.

Or are you talking about differing interpretations of the mechanics that dictate the constraints of acting (eg different interpretations of alignment)? I'm not sure I'd describe that as an inconsistency in story - it seems more like a metagame problem to me.

That's not what I was talking about it. But you are correct, that does sound like a metagame problem. However, it is still the same general class of problem; while the GM and player can agree on the rules, they cannot agree on the context and their attempts to cooperatively metagame become frustrated.

Again I don't quite follow. What you describe is not an example of author stance - "I wanted to tell the epic tale of how we traveled west, but you have forced our characters east" is not a piece of narration intended to explain and retroactively rationalise a PC's action.

No, it's a player complaint about how they were interested in certain kinds of events about which they could narrate and which they could rationalize, but said events never materialized.

I don't understand your metaphors of "double vision" and "the envelope of experience". Nor am I separating author from actor. I'm simply distinguishing two different approaches to the relationship between PC personality and roleplaying: Is the personality pregiven such that good RPing consists in faithfully reproducing that personality in play? Or is the personality up for grabs such that good RPing consists in finding clever, plausible, entertaining, meaningful, etc - insert normative adjective of choice - rationalisations of behaviour which is the result of a decision made during the course of play for reasons quite independent of the PC's hitherto-revealed personality?

I consider that a superfluous, possibly meaningless distinction. Modern psychology cannot even say with any certainty whether there is or is not a core personality to real people much less imagined ones. Furthermore, the character I have in my head may not be the one you have in your head. What we share is expereinces at the table we agree upon. As long as we agree on those choices, it does not matter whether we are individually proceeding from a simulated personality with certain core traits or a personality intuited from events. I could even switch modes from one to the other and you would never know... a personality consistent with itself looks the same, regardless of the rationale for its birth.

I am not going to argue whether what you are talking about can be "true" or not. It simply does not matter. In terms of the text of our shared game, the two approaches are the same.

Btw, you seem to have an image of me as some sort of peddler of evil Forge anti-D&Disms who is all superior about his preference for narrativist play.

Project much? Really, I'm just glad someone responded to the thread.

I didn't even know you had a preference for narrativist play, only for Forgeist terminology. :)

I've been playing RPGs for over 25 years. Like many, I started with D&D and then AD&D. I was able to diagnose the unsatisfactory elements of AD&D (especially 2nd ed) without any help from the Forge (which I think didn't exist in the late 80s and early 90s) - discussions in articles and the Forum in Dragon magazine, especially about alignment, plus my own play experiences, did the job.

I've been playing for about 23 years this summer. I started with D&D, then AD&D. I quite playing D&D in 1986 and did not resume until 3e had been around for months.

I discovered the Forge a bit over 4 years ago following a link from an RPGnet review, and found a terminology and structure of thought that was new to me, but quite helpful - in some cases even illuminating - in explaining and interpreting many of my own experiences playing RPGs.

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion: it might have something to do with certain meta-game constructs being defined in Forge terms that described deficiencies in your previous gaming experiences. For you, it filled a void. That's good.

However, it also has deficiencies. Mainly, it really fails to address some of the best gaming of my life, a period from when I was about age 13 to 14, during which I played a dozen or more games and engaged in marathon improvisatinal scenarios. G/N/S was the farthest thing from my mind... we were interested in fun.

In a more mature form, I retain much the same goals. I am looking for challenges. Puzzles, jokes, allusions, themes, conflicts, tactics, all sorts of situations that cause my brain to activate. I am not very particular about the sphere of challenge: what is important is the quality of it. Does it press me personally? Do I find addressing the challenge intrinsically rewarding? That challenge can be a storytelling one, or a strategic one, or simply coming up with a witty comeback. It can even be a social one: did I master the new set of rules sufficiently to game with my friends?

And its practical utility was first made clear to me in various discussions on the ICE message boards around 18 months ago about the then-pending but now-postponed RM revision. My sense of its practical utility has more recently been reinforced by the discussions on these message boards around the new edition of D&D.

I don't know how much you care about persuading me (or others, like Skeptic) that the Forge analysis of RPGs is unhelpful. But if you do want to do that, you're not going to do so by telling me that I don't understand my own experiences, or that my perception of them has been tainted by the Forge. You're going to have to offer some sort of conceptual framework for thinking about my experiences that offers more insight into them than the Forge framework has done. And that framework will have to respond to and explain perceptions of salient differences in play, not deny those differences.

I am not denying salient differences in play styles. I am denying the Forge taxonomy. To me, G/N/S are cumbersome, vague constructs that get in the way of talking about salient differences. Nor am I denying your experiences; I have no doubt Forge concepts have been useful to you, as you report.

Here's the thing. Forgespeak is terrible for talking about D&D. Talking about G, N, or S is like trying to decide whether you want a pizza with crust, sauce, or cheese. Some people might like more or less, but you have to have them. And no one is going to claim pizza is going to be angelhair bolognese or the Chef's special glazed salmon. It's just a pizza. But it is what it is... and nothing else tastes quite like pizza, but pizza. And this is ENWorld. D&D is pretty big here. So trying to talk GNS here is like trying to speak Portuguese in southern Arkansas; someone will understand you perfectly and be gratified, but it's not a practical vocabulary. But a place where my analogy fails is that you could (theoretically) convert Arkansas into a Portuguese speaking region, but G/N/S simply does not have good terms for what happens in a good D&D game. Ron has great fun describing what can go wrong, but the only reason we don't hear about more pathological Sorcerer games is that only very experienced, perhaps even elite gamers are going to play Sorcerer in the first place.

I'd like to do better. I think there can exist an RPG theory or three that can describe a GOOD game of D&D in some other way than pretending the players accidentally played a different, better designed game by unspoken agreement. I think that's rubbish.

I think it would also be useful to describe why fantasy games and superhero games are winners, with vampires and occultists trailing right behind, whereas role-playing games based on the psycholocial tensions in a prison camp are perennial non-sellers. I think it's because fantasy, superheroes, and horror provide an intrinsically valuable immersive experience.

Furthermore, I think 4e will be fairly successful, despite its problematica mechanical design, simply because it encourages and facillitates an exciting and intrinsically rewarding immersive experience. Beheading orcs is essentially its own reward, yes?

There's a basic problem of epistemology, that it's very easy to divide anything into three to five elements and categorize. For instance, I could divide play into Wowist, Creepyist, and Realist, and I'll bet we could successfully classify most games played with little controversy and few games escaping categorization. Does that make my categories "real"? What about Fantasist, Empathist, and Manipulatist? Structuralist, Modernist, or Post-Modernist? Etc.

What does G/N/S get me? It gets me a vocabulary that calls a game about killing things and taking their stuff "incoherent!"

apoptosis

First Post
pemerton said:
Your principles and distinctions seem to presuppose that character and world building are almost entirely metagame processes, and that action resolution is an infinitely-flexible non-metagame process, but that presupposition does not hold good for a good many RPGs.

Actually look at the game Persona where character creation only begins when the game begins; your stats, skills, talents etc. are all determined while the game goes on..."I need Ninjitsu, well my character actually happens to know ninjistu"

apoptosis

First Post
pawsplay said:
Unforunately, I do not find it handy. Furthermore, when someone else uses it, I find it even less handy than I try to use it myself. The conclusion I have drawn is that some elements of the vocabulary are not good tools for describing RPGs, or at least some RPGs.

I am not denying salient differences in play styles. I am denying the Forge taxonomy. To me, G/N/S are cumbersome, vague constructs that get in the way of talking about salient differences. Nor am I denying your experiences; I have no doubt Forge concepts have been useful to you, as you report.

Here's the thing. Forgespeak is terrible for talking about D&D. Talking about G, N, or S is like trying to decide whether you want a pizza with crust, sauce, or cheese. Some people might like more or less, but you have to have them. And no one is going to claim pizza is going to be angelhair bolognese or the Chef's special glazed salmon. It's just a pizza. But it is what it is... and nothing else tastes quite like pizza, but pizza. And this is ENWorld. D&D is pretty big here. So trying to talk GNS here is like trying to speak Portuguese in southern Arkansas; someone will understand you perfectly and be gratified, but it's not a practical vocabulary. But a place where my analogy fails is that you could (theoretically) convert Arkansas into a Portuguese speaking region, but G/N/S simply does not have good terms for what happens in a good D&D game. Ron has great fun describing what can go wrong, but the only reason we don't hear about more pathological Sorcerer games is that only very experienced, perhaps even elite gamers are going to play Sorcerer in the first place.

What does G/N/S get me? It gets me a vocabulary that calls a game about killing things and taking their stuff "incoherent!"

I have to admit I am with Peryton on this one. While I dont think GNS or the Big Model is the be all end all, i have found that it has been very useful in thinking about games, game design and play experience.

I find G/N/S analysis to do a good job in evaluating D&D and issues that occur in it.

I am definitely open to a new theory but it has to do a better job of modelling game experience than G/N/S or the Big Model does. And it has to be able to perceive deficiencies in the gaming experience that I recognized even before I ever heard of gaming theory.

pawsplay

Hero
apoptosis said:
I find G/N/S analysis to do a good job in evaluating D&D and issues that occur in it.

So what kind of play do you think D&D facillitates? Give me your G/N/S analysis of 3e or 4e, in broad terms.

I am definitely open to a new theory but it has to do a better job of modelling game experience than G/N/S or the Big Model does. And it has to be able to perceive deficiencies in the gaming experience that I recognized even before I ever heard of gaming theory.

"It" can't perceive anything. So what you're saying is you perceived gaming deficiencies you recognized even before you heard of gaming theory. So much the worse for that theory, eh?

pemerton

Legend
pawsplay said:
Not at all. Tunnels and Trolls and Rolemaster are both pretty coherent games. As Skeptic is arguing in another thread, 4e is probably also quite coherent with only a minimal amount of drifting.

As someone else said in one of Skeptic's threads, getting together to play D&D is like the blind men and the elephant - who knows what you're going to get? The incoherence is not a result of the themes of the game - it's rather the tension between various aspects of the game system, which most groups resolve in actual play by houseruling away one or more of the problematic elements.

pawsplay said:
I think it would also be useful to describe why fantasy games and superhero games are winners, with vampires and occultists trailing right behind, whereas role-playing games based on the psycholocial tensions in a prison camp are perennial non-sellers. I think it's because fantasy, superheroes, and horror provide an intrinsically valuable immersive experience.
An explanation for this phenomenon would, I imagine, be related to an explanation why Tom Clancy and Stephen King are more widely read than (for example) Graham Greene, despite the fact that the latter is a far superior novelist. Or why a bad action movie will generate a bigger audience than a great Hal Hartley movie.

What explains these pop-cultural tropes? This thread is probably not the place to try and resolve that question, and in any event I'm not all that qualified to answer it. At least part of the answer, though, I think relates to certain cultural assumptions about the depiction of conflict.

Suppose roleplaying games had been invented in Russia, or in Paraguay? Would we necessarily expect them to adopt the same tropes as they have inherited from American culture?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads