• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Who / What will be the main gods of 4E?

Gundark

Explorer
Szatany said:
Well, asmodeus is from Bible, and they are not avoiding him.

Well techincally asmodeus isn't mentioned in the bible (not the King James version anyways).
He is mentioned in the Talmud. And is part of Catholic and Orthodox bibical cannon. He isn't really what I'm talking about as I would imagine that WotC has changed him enough to not to strongly reflect a current religious figure. I would see using Hindu deities as a pretty black or white issue.

I'm not saying I myself would be offended if they drew from current religious deities. I'm just saying that they shouldn't to avoid hurt feelings.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
jasin said:
A question for the planar scholars: if Asmodeus were a god in 3E, what would his domains be? What's his schtick, beyond being all Evil and Lawful and devilish?

According to the Book of Vile Darkness, his domains are Diabolic, Evil and Law.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Gundark said:
I would see using Hindu deities as a pretty black or white issue.

I'm not saying I myself would be offended if they drew from current religious deities. I'm just saying that they shouldn't to avoid hurt feelings.
I agree. I think folks who think Hindu deities should be included as-is should consider what their groups would think of having Jehovah/Allah in the PHB as well. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

Szatany

First Post
ivocaliban said:
Welcome to the Wilderlands of High Fantasy! Please enjoy your stay. ;)
a what?

Gundark said:
Well techincally asmodeus isn't mentioned in the bible (not the King James version anyways).
He is mentioned in the Talmud. And is part of Catholic and Orthodox bibical cannon. He isn't really what I'm talking about as I would imagine that WotC has changed him enough to not to strongly reflect a current religious figure. I would see using Hindu deities as a pretty black or white issue.

We can stay with "dead" pantheons. I have no problem with that, hindu was a shot in the dark anyway.

Blessed Kitten

First Post
Aside for a few of the beings that have iconic DnD identities like Asmodeus and Tiamat, I for one do not want to see any real religious references, past or present, in the core material. This totally breaks the suspension of disbelief to me. It would be like having references to the Kingdom of France and the Byzantine Empire in the PHB. Am I playing a game set on Earth or not?

That said, I would like to see a little more realism put into our fake religions than the cartoony version of polytheism that we get. They need someone like Sepulchrave to write that section. :lol:

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
Blessed Kitten said:
Aside for a few of the beings that have iconic DnD identities like Asmodeus and Tiamat, I for one do not want to see any real religious references, past or present, in the core material. This totally breaks the suspension of disbelief to me. It would be like having references to the Kingdom of France and the Byzantine Empire in the PHB. Am I playing a game set on Earth or not?

That said, I would like to see a little more realism put into our fake religions than the cartoony version of polytheism that we get. They need someone like Sepulchrave to write that section. :lol:
I second the motion tabled by Blessed Kitten, along with its riders.

What do you do with a blessed kitten, anyway? Get it to destroy your cursed boots?

Szatany

First Post
Blessed Kitten said:

And I want some grittier feel to the religions. I want them to fight for influence and followers. I want crusades and inquisition :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads