• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who Will Get the Axe?

I was trying to avoid thread drift. I am SUCH a horrible, evil, person. Did I mention I kick puppies in my spare time?
Nice. Care to respond to the substantive issues?

And since your reply was posted within 5 minutes of my post, it is clear that you didn't heed the advice to think (more than once) before you type.

..no seriously, do you not have the slightest urge to respond substantively rather than asking more irrelevant questions and diverting the focus of the discussion?

..not even the slightest urge to backup what you say?

Last edited:

icarusfallz

First Post
I found Lizard's post to be fairly on point. I agree with most of what he said. Formerly Dickens, you seem to have some personal issue with Liz. Hope you don't meet in public? That sounds threatening.

We spout such vitriol at each other, and for what? For posting our OPINIONS? For posting a few FACTS? Jeezus, people, grow the hell up.

Frankly, WoTC has basically said that Gleemax was meant to be LIKE a MySpace for gamers. Sadly, it never was. I use MySpace to host characters for my tabletop D&D games. I ask all of my players to create accounts for their characters. I can hand out EPs there, send private communications, post bulletins about festivals, whatever. If WoTC gave me a better utility to use for this sort of thing (as Gleemax was SUPPOSED to be) I would be very appreciative.

They failed.

I hate that people that helped facilitate the playing of the game that I love got fired. It sucks. Taking petty, personal swipes against people posting on a board that is supposed to be FOR those people sucks worse. Lidda, GZ, and the others, I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. It sucks to be in America with no job these days. Luckily, you have the skills and personalities to make it. I am sure you will. Karma will watch out for you.

I found Lizard's post to be fairly on point. I agree with most of what he said. Formerly Dickens, you seem to have some personal issue with Liz. Hope you don't meet in public? That sounds threatening.

We spout such vitriol at each other, and for what? For posting our OPINIONS? For posting a few FACTS? Jeezus, people, grow the hell up.

Frankly, WoTC has basically said that Gleemax was meant to be LIKE a MySpace for gamers. Sadly, it never was. I use MySpace to host characters for my tabletop D&D games. I ask all of my players to create accounts for their characters. I can hand out EPs there, send private communications, post bulletins about festivals, whatever. If WoTC gave me a better utility to use for this sort of thing (as Gleemax was SUPPOSED to be) I would be very appreciative.

They failed.

I hate that people that helped facilitate the playing of the game that I love got fired. It sucks. Taking petty, personal swipes against people posting on a board that is supposed to be FOR those people sucks worse. Lidda, GZ, and the others, I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. It sucks to be in America with no job these days. Luckily, you have the skills and personalities to make it. I am sure you will. Karma will watch out for you.
Are you serious? Did you read my post?

I did not make one personal attack on Lizard. I systematically responded to his post and pointed out logical fallacies in his rhetoric (I may have not done it *well*, but that is what I did). This is precisely NOT vitriolic.

And there is nothing threatening about hoping to not meet a particular person. IOW, his barking of orders is so repugnant that it offends me to a degree that makes me not want to meet the person.

There is nothing threatening herein. Speaking of rhetorical fallacies, your comment about threats is a red herring. It hides the real issue and diverts the discussion to an unrelated and unnecessary topic.

Go back and read my post, not just Lizard's reply (which contains nothing of substance). Here is the link to my post: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showpost.php?p=4438096&postcount=117

...whatever. WOTC has enumerable problems. And getting into a pissing contest here does nothing to help. RPG message board discussion....what was I thinking anyway?

Good night, guys! I wish those who had to leave WOTC the best in finding a new job. Somehow, I think there are opportunities to be had in spite of the departure. Perhaps, a blessing in disguise.

Last edited:

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Sad to see Linae "reorganized". :(

She's a great gal and was always in touch with the gamers out there. I hope all goes well in her future!

Cheers, LT.

Wayside

Explorer
Are you serious? Did you read my post?

I did not make one personal attack on Lizard. I systematically responded to his post and pointed out logical fallacies in his rhetoric (I may have not done it *well*, but that is what I did). This is precisely NOT vitriolic.
First, referring to someone's post as "speculative drivel" is pretty vitriolic.

Second, you attempted to point out fallacies in his logic, not his rhetoric.

Third, your finger is not on the pulse of gamers. You have no basis in fact for any of your remarks about WotC other than your own opinion. If "speculative drivel" is a fair description of some of what Lizard said, then that goes for you as well.

Finally, how did the irony of a question like "Care to respond to the substantive issues?" escape you? Lizard just pointed out to you that your initial response wasn't even relevant to his post, so your next move was to...skip over that and say he's the one going off topic? Really?

And there is nothing threatening about hoping to not meet a particular person. IOW, his barking of orders is so repugnant that it offends me to a degree that makes me not want to meet the person.
It's simply good manners. This thread has a topic. You're off it (and admittedly, I'm now contributing to that too). The point is that if you want to discuss something that isn't relevant to the topic of a thread, it's common courtesy to start a new thread for that discussion. Nobody's "barking orders" at you, although I wouldn't be surprised if a mod came along and did some red typing.

There is nothing threatening herein. Speaking of rhetorical fallacies, your comment about threats is a red herring. It hides the real issue and diverts the discussion to an unrelated and unnecessary topic.
Did you just finish reading Thinking from A to Z or something? Anyway, icarusfallz's comment was a legitimate response to a troubling part of your post. Since you've clarified that you weren't threatening anybody, there's no reason to continue down that line of discussion.

Lizard

Explorer
Nice. Care to respond to the substantive issues?

I did.

And since your reply was posted within 5 minutes of my post, it is clear that you didn't heed the advice to think (more than once) before you type.

Hmm...with you it's "advice", with me it's "barking orders". Mr. Pot? We have a Mr. Kettle on line two for you.

..no seriously, do you not have the slightest urge to respond substantively rather than asking more irrelevant questions and diverting the focus of the discussion?

I'm pretty sure ENWorld has a kill filter. If you don't like my writing style, it should be trivial for you to avoid it.

There's nothing "substantive" in your post to respond to. It consists, pretty much entirely, of "Neener neener, you're wrong -- and, oo look, I just took a five minute course on 'logical falacies'." It utterly fails to address the actual issue *I* was addressing -- that you cannot leap from "There were layoffs at WOTC" to "Therefore, the 4e launch failed". I pointed out there are many other possible explanations. Of course that was "speculation". I was "speculating". Short of having recordings of the boardroom meetings of whoever made the decisions, the Truth Shall Not Be Known. Now, if you feel some of my speculations are more or less likely than others, feel free to elaborate, but pointing out that speculation is speculation is pretty much the antithesis of "substantive".

..not even the slightest urge to backup what you say?

Nope, not really.

Go bother someone who has a history of deep, meaningful, discourse replete with detailed responses and complex, nuanced, posts. Hong, say.

Meanwhile, can we try to keep this topic on the layoffs, and the people affected by them, and less on me? Granted, my ego loves it, but I've been told there are things more important than my ego. I don't believe such drivel, of course, but I am trying to keep an open mind.

Oh dear. Barking orders AGAIN, I suppose. It's a habit. Now, where are those puppies? I've got some new boots to try out!

ascendance

First Post
What's likely to get the axe

If Star Wars is getting the axe, that's probably due to licensing reasons, not profitability.

I think Dreamblade's already done, but the Axis and Allies miniatures game is probably likely to get the axe next. It's all their licensed flop CCGs - Transformers, Maple Story, Duel Masters - that I'd be worried about.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Formerly Dickens, if you don't like what Lizard has to say or the way he says it then skip his posts. If you need assistance with that then use the Ignore feature. That's why it's there. This snarky dissection of his posts is not an approach that leads to productive discussion. So cut that out.

Remove ads