Whoring Religion Before The Throne: Religion In Bed With Politics.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
A few references to the Constatine and the Council of Nicea, King Henry and his wives and similar situations in China and elsewhere. I agree that this particular discussion can continue without those references but am also of the opinion that the history of the Medieval Church makes great inspiration for games - I've used the Legends of various saints and the suppression of heresies as the basis of adventures in the past.

In one campaign the PCs were agents of the church charged with recovering holy relics, rescuing kidnapped clergymen and similar. Eventually they went on to uncover and bring down a heretical cult

In Rome and Japan, warfare determined which religion won.

In Rome, Christianity spread like wildfire through the East when the Eastern Emperor converted. The Western Roman Empire, however, generally oppressed Christians, often due to the leadership of the "pagan" Senate; the issue was decided at the Battle of Frigidus. The Christians won, but at great cost; the West was weakened due to losing so many legions, which would eventually make the West easier prey for the "barbarians" (most of whom were no longer barbarians when they sacked Rome twice in a century).

I read somewhere that the Senate converted themselves into Church leaders very quickly. They didn't want to lose their perks.

In the latter case, two powerful samurai clans had different religions; one the old Shinto religion, and the other the Bhuddist religion recently imported from Japan. The second clan won the right (through combat) to introduce their religion to Japan. Eventually Bhuddism became very influential, but Shintoism never vanished. (People can believe in both religions.)

SHARK said:
Throughout history, religion has always had close ties with the ruling powers and government. In looking at a campaign, at your campaign—how do you develop the different relationships between religion A, and the government, and religion B, and the government? How does one religion gain precedence and favour over all of the other religions?
By my wanting it to happen. Simple as that. It's all just window dressing by DM fiat.

Remove ads