Who's Hype for Dark Sun???

Mort_Q

First Post
Well, unless you can post scans/pictures of the character cards... ;)

D&D XP 2010: Dark Sun Characters

According to the blog linked above, the weapon breaking rules are, in typical 4e (no penalties, only bonuses) style:

If you roll a 1 on an attack with a weapon, you can reroll it. If you’re using a non-metal weapon, it automatically breaks after the attack if you do so. If you’re using a metal weapon, it breaks on a roll of 1-5

Not bad. Some of the reasoning is mentioned in the blog linked below.

WotC_RichBaker

An easy grittier House Rule (not tested, just thinking out loud) is to have inferior weapons auto-miss on a 2 or 3 as well... thus making it more tempting to risk breaking your weapon.

We'll see how it things play out. I've pre-ordered my Dark Sun books.

Last edited:

davethegame

Explorer
I'm totally hyped. Plans are already under way to make Dark Sun the next campaign I run once my current one is finished (group in late Paragon, and not planning on going all the way through Epic). About 1/3rd of the group played in long DS campaigns in 2e and are really looking forward to it again.

Basically, it's new campaign energy combined with new campaign energy :)

I gotta say, that post has been a consistent source of traffic for us since we posted it. Judging by the number of hits it receives daily and how many message boards, blog posts, etc. link to it, sales for Dark Sun are going to be huge.

RigaMortus2

First Post
I'm stoked for Dark Sun right now, partially due to the Penny Arcade Dark Sun podcasts. I've read parts of the old box, looked at Brom's awesome artwork, and gotten that nostalgic feel again. :D

Now I'm thinking, once DS is out and I'm running a campaign there, what kind of music is appropriate as background music for the sessions? Dark Sun needs its own metal genre IMO. :) (Seriously, there's Pirate Metal, Viking Metal, Tolkien Metal, Touhou Metal... you get the idea.)

Get the soundtrack to The Mummy Returns :)

mgbeach

Explorer
I'm stoked for Dark Sun right now, partially due to the Penny Arcade Dark Sun podcasts. I've read parts of the old box, looked at Brom's awesome artwork, and gotten that nostalgic feel again. :D

Now I'm thinking, once DS is out and I'm running a campaign there, what kind of music is appropriate as background music for the sessions? Dark Sun needs its own metal genre IMO. :) (Seriously, there's Pirate Metal, Viking Metal, Tolkien Metal, Touhou Metal... you get the idea.)

Back in the day with AD&D 2nd Edition Dark Sun we used to play a lot of Iron Maiden. Ended up even having a whole story arc based around this evil kid who was the 7th son of a 7th son :)

Back in the day with AD&D 2nd Edition Dark Sun we used to play a lot of Iron Maiden. Ended up even having a whole story arc based around this evil kid who was the 7th son of a 7th son :)

Hmm, while I haven't listened to Iron Maiden for quite some time, I guess the Powerslave album could be worth checking out (if that's the one with the Egyptian cover).

Mort_Q

First Post
I'm somewhat curious to see what is done with the setting. 4E's design mentality seems somewhat at odds with some of Dark Sun's ideals in some areas. I'm curious to see which way the design will bend to accomidate both styles combined together into one product. Will DS be given the same 4E treatment as every other setting or will DS bend some of the 4E ideals to fit the classic DS themes?

I was just flipping through some old Dark Sun stuff... I can see them not allowing Divine power source classes.

Somewhere someone posted that they are having "no Gnomes" as a sidebar, not a rule.

I wonder if they'll use the racial restrictions on classes at all, or even mention them?

Remove ads