• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who's in charge?

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
I was thinking about DnD armies and who gets to be the general.

In most published material I've seen it tends to be a fighter. Sometimes a paladin if it's a LG army. Seems obvious and fits with the class descriptions.

But when you start looking at the abilities, the Bard seems the best choice to me: Social skills, knowledge, alertness skills and even some mass inspiration abilities.

Far better than any of the fighter types if you're looking to be the next Caeser?

Has another niche for the fighter been stolen?

Any thoughts?

Gez

First Post
However, Bards probably suck at organization -- remember they can't be lawful.

The Mini HB brought the Marshall class, which seems to fit the bill.

Otherwise, the Aristocrat NPC class (and especially a tweaked version like mine) is the most appropriate.

Snoweel

First Post
Ever heard the phrase "Your reputation precedes you"?

Most members of an army will have heard of the army's general before joining. They will have decided how much respect they have for him/her before they even meet the leader.

The leader's interpersonal skills will have little direct bearing on the typical grunt.

For example, I have a friend who everybody loves. Girls want to be with him, guys want to be like him. He is that charismatic.

However, if I was to go to war, I would rather be led by Carl Gustav Mannheim/Peter Cosgrove/Norman Shwartzkopf/military leader of your choice, even though I have never met them, and imagine them to be less-then-persuasive.

Not only that, I have more respect for these generals I've never met than I do for my friend, by virtue of their achievements.

TracerBullet42

First Post
Wow...I was thinking the same thing recently. As our campaign is drawing near its end, I am starting to think about my next character, and I would like to be a "general" type. Originally, I thought a charasmatic fighter would fit the bill.

While that type of character would work, the more that I look at the Bard class, the more I think that it fits a general. Sure, it doesn't have full BAB, but the skill list and inspiring abilities certainly seem fitting.

The only thing that doesn't seem to fit for me is the Bardic Music...but that's another thread altogether. (One that I started just the other day...)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
TracerBullet42 said:
Wow...I was thinking the same thing recently. As our campaign is drawing near its end, I am starting to think about my next character, and I would like to be a "general" type. Originally, I thought a charasmatic fighter would fit the bill.

While that type of character would work, the more that I look at the Bard class, the more I think that it fits a general. Sure, it doesn't have full BAB, but the skill list and inspiring abilities certainly seem fitting.

There's no reason to think that a general couldn't be from any class at all, depending on the campaign. While it seems natural that fighters, aristocrats, and paladins would have an inside track, depending on the society, that may not be the case. The character wouldn't even necessarily be the highest level, have any fighter levels whatsoever, or have come up through the ranks.
I think a bard would do just fine as a general. He's got the charisma, all he needs is either the knowledge or connections to get the job and keep it.
As far as needing to be lawful, that's what a general staff is for. Get a few logisticians and bean counters and put them at the general's disposal. The general can work on the big picture while the more organized types hammer out logistical details.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
In our campaigns, the leader is most often a Cleric actually. Still a good fighter, and with the POWER OF GAWD on his side to rally the troops - also many clerics have a high Charisma. Of course, a few fighters and/or paladins operate just below the clerical general.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
The 'magnificent bastard' prestige... sounds good. :)

TracerBullet42 - Could the bard could use Perform: Inspiring Speach, Heroic leadership or something similar. I'm sure many GMs would allow you to use that for the bardic 'music'... It's got 'vocal' components and the abilities would seem to fit - with the possible exception to the countersong?

Snoweel - I get quite where you coming from there. Social skills are not going to make a general, even if they don't hurt the political side of the job. However, I think I'd rather serve under someone with a sound knowledge of tactics, history, etc - rather than someone who's just 'good in a fight'?

And the bard is the best candidate for that - their bardic knowledge arguably makes them more 'sagey' than even a wizard... certainly more so than the poor fighter - who just seems to know how to use weapons?

Although I guess those generals you mentioned are all going to have worked their way up through the ranks and are likely to be pretty well trained and dangerous...

I hadn't figured the non-lawful aspect of the class. I figure a chaotic army is less likely to make use of the bards skills - probably a better environment for a Barbarian Warlord to run things! I supose a NG bard could still do the job...

Or that the job is just as likely to go to the kings favorite cousin than someone who's actually good at the job...

I do like clerical leaders for armies. Who doesn't love a horde of pumped up zealots running around the countryside... although the 'dirty' nature of war and politics could cause problems for followers of some of the more LG gods?

I guess what I'm getting at is I think the bards abilities fit best with my perception of a generals job... even if the default 'fluff' text doesn't.

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Inconsequenti-AL said:
Has another niche for the fighter been stolen?
Personal answer: Armies (i.e., organized units of soldiers trained in the use of formation tactics and manuevers) are comprised of the Legionairre Class (Mercenaries, AEG), making both Bards and Fighters sub-par choices for the role of General.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads