• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who's pumped for Pacific Rim?

NewJeffCT

First Post
Thought it was a fun summer movie - lots of action and some good lines in there. If the movie ends up having legs and becomes profitable, I wonder if, "today, we're canceling the Apocalypse" will be up there with "and today is our Independence Day" from Bill Pullman in terms of near apocalypse movies?

Nytmare

David Jose
I watched it on Friday, but hadn't had a chance to log into the webs.

Overall, I loved it. There were maybe a double handful of minor quibbles (the analog/digital thing, the fist vs Newton's cradle scene) but the only thing that really drove me insane were how goofy and over the top the two scientist characters were. I really would have preferred that those two characters were not played for comedic relief.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If we were to note the flaws, the goofy portrayal of the scientists characters is by no means the biggest issue.

There is only a single notable female character in the movie. One. Just one. I will give them a partial point for having the female on the Russian team be the lead, and the only one of them who speaks, but she's not explored at all, and isn't really relevant to the plot.

Umbran, at least they only made one of the heroes an American. Contrast that with Independence Day or U-571.

I also give them bonus points for the one female lead being Rinko Kikuchi...but that's just a personal preference. :)

Joker

First Post
Maybe I'm a bit jaded from watching a large amount of movies but I thought it was boring. Completely uninteresting characters which made the action a bit pointless.

Hollywood is an American export so you're gonna have American heroes saving the world. Do foreigners complain that Indian movies only have Indian heroes saving the world? Maybe. I don't know.
It's a silly criticism. This is different that the Mighty Whitey trope which is a problem is Western cinema.

I'm probably gonna have stuff thrown at me for this, but if I may contrast Pacific Rim with my all time favorite disaster movie, Independence Day.
ID4 had characters which I cared about. They were stereotypes, sure, but that had defined personalities with funny quirks. They had families whom you followed throughout the movie and in whom you invested emotion.
None of that in Pacific Rim. All flat, one dimensional character. The worst of which were the scientists.

I don't know. I'm of mind that action without emotional investment in the characters is pointless and boring. I can't be entertained by pretty CGI anymore.

On a positive note, here's the funniest trailer for ID4 I've ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YtvsxB9xQY

GSHamster

Adventurer
I saw someone describe this movie as "the Platonic ideal of a giant robot vs kaiju movie", and I think it's very apt.

The movie promised me giant robots fighting monsters, and it delivered. It is no more than that, but it is also no less than that.

It was a good time with friends who are into that sort of thing.

Abraxas

Explorer
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Saw it in 3D and was really happy that they didn't play the "this is 3D so everything has to come flying at the audience" tricks. The 3D just gave it depth that made it even more impressive to watch.

I laughed when I heard the voice of GLaDOS, and when the one Kaiju roared like Rodan. There were few things that gave me pause, but i can forgive them because I enjoyed the movie so much.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads